Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

You guys should really do your homework better!...

...He then (1956) hooked up with Carl Kiekhaefer of Outboard Marine fame and drove one of three Chrysler 300's during that season and did consistently well setting a record for qualifying at Elkhart Lake that probably still stands.

If you want more read the Almanac! I know, most of you can't remember what you had for breakfast!

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Dick: You have committed a major faux pas.

The genius of Carl Kiekhaefer would be greatly offended by your linking him in any way to Outboard Marine Corporation [OMC]. In fact, OMC was his arch enemy in the postwar Outboard Motor Wars that raged on the country's lakes and rivers for a half-century following WWII.

Carl was the President and engineering and marketing mastermind behind Mercury Outboard Motors, not the overweight, inefficient, ponderous outboards produced by OMC, a/k/a the "Johnrude" twins of Johnson and Evinrude, OMC's primary products.

OMC and Kiekhaefer Mercury were head-to-head, Ford and GM-like competitors. Other manufacturers picked up small pieces of the outboard motor market pie, but Mercury and OMC were far-and-away the top two.

As a proud original owner of a 1970 Kiekhaefer Mercury 800, an 80-HP in-line four powering the ski boat I bought new upon graduating from Purdue, I accept your apology on behalf of the late Mr. Kiekhaefer. (1971 was the last model year in which the name Kiekhaefer appeared with Mercury on the engine's exterior cowling.) May Carl rest easier tonight, knowing his brief, erroneous association with OMC was corrected post haste. [^] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel

You guys should really do your homework better!...

...He then (1956) hooked up with Carl Kiekhaefer of Outboard Marine fame and drove one of three Chrysler 300's during that season and did consistently well setting a record for qualifying at Elkhart Lake that probably still stands.

If you want more read the Almanac! I know, most of you can't remember what you had for breakfast!

Richard Quinn
        editor: Antique Studebaker Review
        Dick: You have committed a major faux pas.

The genius of Carl Kiekhaefer would be greatly offended by your linking him in any way to Outboard Marine Corporation [OMC]. In fact, OMC was his arch enemy in the postwar Outboard Motor Wars that raged on the country's lakes and rivers for a half-century following WWII.

Carl was the President and engineering and marketing mastermind behind Mercury Outboard Motors, not the overweight, inefficient, ponderous outboards produced by OMC, a/k/a the "Johnrude" twins of Johnson and Evinrude, OMC's primary products.

OMC and Kiekhaefer Mercury were head-to-head, Ford and GM-like competitors. Other manufacturers picked up small pieces of the outboard motor market pie, but Mercury and OMC were far-and-away the top two.

As a proud original owner of a 1970 Kiekhaefer Mercury 800, an 80-HP in-line four powering the ski boat I bought new upon graduating from Purdue, I accept your apology on behalf of the late Mr. Kiekhaefer. (1971 was the last model year in which the name Kiekhaefer appeared with Mercury on the engine's exterior cowling.) May Carl rest easier tonight, knowing his brief, erroneous association with OMC was corrected post haste. [^] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Frank Mundy is alive and living in Atlanta, GA. He was our guest speaker at one of our SE Zone meets here in Atlanta back in the early 80's. He has also been a guest speaker at one of the Tri-State meets in North Carolina quite a number of years ago. Have a close personal friend who has known Frank for many years. As I have been told, Frank dosen't get out much any more, his health won't permit it.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Frank Mundy is alive and living in Atlanta, GA. He was our guest speaker at one of our SE Zone meets here in Atlanta back in the early 80's. He has also been a guest speaker at one of the Tri-State meets in North Carolina quite a number of years ago. Have a close personal friend who has known Frank for many years. As I have been told, Frank dosen't get out much any more, his health won't permit it.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
            Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Sirs . Even if I live in Chile, very far from USA, I think that the Museum (the Foundation ?) should built a replica of that glorious Stude.

A functional replica also would attract more younger people to our brand

Studebakerchile

Comment

Sirs . Even if I live in Chile, very far from USA, I think that the Museum (the Foundation ?) should built a replica of that glorious Stude.

A functional replica also would attract more younger people to our brand

Studebakerchile

Comment

Interesting wheels on that Commander. Anyone wanna guess what they are?

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

[:0] They actually look like a split rim, don't they, Bob? They may be some type of special racing wheel. Since everybody was still running tubes back then, there would be no need for a resulting 2-piece assembly to be air tight. (Like today, I imagine most NASCAR enthusiasts back then would have appreciated a two-piece outfit...) BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

[:0] They actually look like a split rim, don't they, Bob? They may be some type of special racing wheel. Since everybody was still running tubes back then, there would be no need for a resulting 2-piece assembly to be air tight. (Like today, I imagine most NASCAR enthusiasts back then would have appreciated a two-piece outfit...) BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                          Bob,

My experience with the two outboard motor manufacturers is just the opposite. In the winter of 1981/82 I traded my '62 Willys 4WD wagon to a friend for two boats, a 15' Glastron with a 900 Merc and a 14' Starcraft with a 50 Johnson. The Glastron would fly and do 60 MPH with that 90HP six cylinder. However, the Merc engine blew and with a line bored block, it was junk. I think that it still rests at my mother's house.

On the other hand, the Johnson never failed me. I sold it to a friend, bought it back and sold it again. Never winterized it and it always started in the spring. In fact, I picked up 2 six gallon tanks for it a couple of weeks ago from my mother's garage when i put the buggy to sleep for the winter. I was amazed when i opened the full one that the gas did not smell stale even after 20+ years.

Gary

Comment

Bob,

My experience with the two outboard motor manufacturers is just the opposite. In the winter of 1981/82 I traded my '62 Willys 4WD wagon to a friend for two boats, a 15' Glastron with a 900 Merc and a 14' Starcraft with a 50 Johnson. The Glastron would fly and do 60 MPH with that 90HP six cylinder. However, the Merc engine blew and with a line bored block, it was junk. I think that it still rests at my mother's house.

On the other hand, the Johnson never failed me. I sold it to a friend, bought it back and sold it again. Never winterized it and it always started in the spring. In fact, I picked up 2 six gallon tanks for it a couple of weeks ago from my mother's garage when i put the buggy to sleep for the winter. I was amazed when i opened the full one that the gas did not smell stale even after 20+ years.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Bob,

Gary
                              Unfortunately, it's hard to arrive at conclusions from used equipment. Those Glastrons (G-3, IIRC) with six-cylinder Mercurys got ran hard; they were a real hot-rod boat combination in the late 60s and early 70s. And they were fast!

The engines would take it, but not if improper or insufficient oil was mixed with the gas...or if the timing was set incorrectly by non-Mercury mechanics, because it was difficult to understand how to set it properly. Wrong timing on a high-performance 2-stroke will burn pistons in a heartbeat...not to mention stale gas, as you reference, Gary! (I'm a firm believer in Sta-bil, and have used gallons of it in the last 40 years!)

I've run my Merc 800 exclusively on Kiekhaefer Formula 50 oil for 37 years and the factory lead (gasp; lead!) seal is still on the crankcase halves. It still pulls 4900-5000 RPM with a 19" 3-blade prop. It's barely dropped 100 RPM from the flat-out peak of the year I bought it new...after proper break-in, of course!

The buggy sleeping in your Mom's garage; is that the one from Lebanon? From the Reedsville documentaries, I gather you sold another buggy; true? BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Bob,

Gary
                                Unfortunately, it's hard to arrive at conclusions from used equipment. Those Glastrons (G-3, IIRC) with six-cylinder Mercurys got ran hard; they were a real hot-rod boat combination in the late 60s and early 70s. And they were fast!

The engines would take it, but not if improper or insufficient oil was mixed with the gas...or if the timing was set incorrectly by non-Mercury mechanics, because it was difficult to understand how to set it properly. Wrong timing on a high-performance 2-stroke will burn pistons in a heartbeat...not to mention stale gas, as you reference, Gary! (I'm a firm believer in Sta-bil, and have used gallons of it in the last 40 years!)

I've run my Merc 800 exclusively on Kiekhaefer Formula 50 oil for 37 years and the factory lead (gasp; lead!) seal is still on the crankcase halves. It still pulls 4900-5000 RPM with a 19" 3-blade prop. It's barely dropped 100 RPM from the flat-out peak of the year I bought it new...after proper break-in, of course!

The buggy sleeping in your Mom's garage; is that the one from Lebanon? From the Reedsville documentaries, I gather you sold another buggy; true? BP

Comment

Working...
                                X