1962 GT Hawk 160mph speedo and 8K RPM Tach from factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 GT Hawk 160mph speedo and 8K RPM Tach from factory

I hope someone may be able to help, I recently acquired a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo. I have found a number of oddities with the car. I ordered purchase order from Studebaker prior to purchasing to make sure I had matching numbers, the numbers matched PO on body and engine, that was one of the oddities the original PO had engine number XXX out and car had 2-engine numbers typed in;
    V/558427 and below that P*90358 car serial no. 62V 34241 matched with where engine no. Stamped with the V#. Car came with Heavy Duty springs front and rear also, heavy duty shocks front and rear. The car has no power steering, and strangest so far, it has from factory as near as we can tell, untouched Speedometer 160 mph and untouched factory 8,000 RPM Tachometer they are same as other gauges appear untouched and consistent with the GT Hawk R-2 instrumentation which was not avail till 63'. The engine crank dampener is huge approx 1 1/4"-1 1/2" larger than the pulley. The engine is 289 with, long since gone wet air cleaner, and 4-bbl. it came with 4-speed and Hurst shifter. It also has Twin Traction differential, and The car Oder written 3/29/62 date to ship 4/06/62, says at bottom, SOLD RUSH
    I have seen a number of PO's from Studebaker museum and this is strange having 2-engine numbers, and having an engine number XXXXX out but the topper is the instrumentation what, why??? Any help?

The stock damper is bigger than the pulley from the factory, the built sheet was probably just a not uncommon correction. The gauges that appear to be "Untouched" were swapped at some point IMHP.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

1962 GT Hawk 160 mph speedo and 8K Tach

I hope someone may be able to help, I recently acquired a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo. I have found a number of oddities with the car. I ordered purchase order from Studebaker prior to purchasing to make sure I had matching numbers, the numbers matched PO on body and engine, that was one of the oddities the original PO had engine number XXX out and car had 2-engine numbers typed in;
      V/558427 and below that P*90358 car serial no. 62V 34241 matched with where engine no. Stamped with the V#. Car came with Heavy Duty springs front and rear also, heavy duty shocks front and rear. The car has no power steering, and strangest so far, it has from factory as near as we can tell, untouched Speedometer 160 mph and untouched factory 8,000 RPM Tachometer they are same as other gauges appear untouched and consistent with the GT Hawk R-2 instrumentation which was not avail till 63'. The engine crank dampener is huge approx 1 1/4"-1 1/2" larger than the pulley. The engine is 289 with, long since gone wet air cleaner, and 4-bbl. it came with 4-speed and Hurst shifter. It also has Twin Traction differential, and The car Oder written 3/29/62 date to ship 4/06/62, says at bottom, SOLD RUSH
      I have seen a number of PO's from Studebaker museum and this is strange having 2-engine numbers, and having an engine number XXXXX out but the topper is the instrumentation what, why??? Any help?

Comment

The speedometer might read kilometers/hr consistent with european use. Standard Surplus used to have shelfs full of metric speedometers for $15.00 each
        The engine number change came with a rush order.
        They took an unsold completed car which came standard with a 259 engine and installed a 289 at the factory.
        Stranger things have happened in Studebakerland.

Robert Kapteyn
        Last edited by rkapteyn; 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks, will be pulling heads to check on cam and piston's this week to see if this is stock 289 from 62' will keep forum posted.

Comment

The gauges and Hurst shifter were all added later. The car is over 50 years old. Plenty of time for things to get changed.

The production orders were all hand typed. Mistakes happened!

Comment

This is the part I can not decipher: "the original PO had engine number XXX out and car had 2-engine numbers typed in;
              V/558427 and below that P*90358 car serial no. 62V 34241 matched with where engine no. Stamped with the V#."

Exactly what was the Final Engine Number on the PO?
              What was the Engine Number ON the currently installed 289? Engine?

Someone REALLY had to be sleeping at the Line-a-Type Machine that Day, to put a 259 Engine Number on a Hawk PO!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It would help immensely if you would post a scan of the Production Order.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It would help immensely if you would post a scan of the Production Order.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    They took an unsold completed car which came standard with a 259 engine and installed a 289 at the factory.
                    Stranger things have happened in Studebakerland.
                    '62 HAWK's came standard with a 259?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                      No, 289 only. Either 2 bbl or 4 bbl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                        Yes!, there were 259 V8 1962 Hawks if built for export outside of the USA. They even made 1962 Hawks with the six cylinder engine for export. This Hawk MAY have been in the line as an export car and then changed over to the USA spec's., including the 289, to fill this RUSH ORDER.
                        I believe that the other changes (shifter, gauges) were made after delivery.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
                          No, 289 only. Either 2 bbl or 4 bbl.
                          Your reply is only correct for USA deliveries. For export, there were 289s, 259s and even six cylinder 1962 Hawks.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is definitely 160 mph and tach is 8K its a 289 4-bbl Carter, my mechanic has been around block and had an uncle heavily into Studes. We pulled the chrome valve covers yesterday the engine has dual valve springs, and in his professional opinion engine has not been rebuilt, it also has flat top pistons and the serial no. On PO matches the stamp on the block and the body plate number matches the PO so the block is factory, used a cylinder cam to look at Pistons. Will pull heads this week, see what other surprises lie ahead but the Crank Dampener is big. Anyone have measurements on the crank snout length R vs Standard 289?

Comment

The speedo is 160 mph and tach 8,000 rpm. Pulled the chrome valve covers today and used cylinder cam to look at Pistons. The 289 has 4-bbl Carter, dual valve springs,flat top Pistons. My mechanic has been around the block and had an uncle heavily into Studes. In his professional opinion the engine is factory original and is not rebuilt. The crank dampener is quite large. Pulling heads hopefully this weekend and will keep you posted on cam, Pistons, bore on motor. I still relatively sure gauges appear original as backs of all gauges are same no tool marks on gauge backs or panel back, and all equally aged by ambient UV radiation.

Comment

Working...
                              X