Hemmings and the Studebaker Woodie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings and the Studebaker Woodie

I just received my August Hemmings Classic Car in the mail and was pleased to see the reference to our Studebaker Woodie prototype on page 12...except that Hemmings is wondering what happened to the original prototype. Perhaps Bob Palma can straighten them out. As we all know, it's in the Studebaker National Museum.

Apparently a reader from California found a colour Studebaker handout photo in a September 1946 issue of LIFE Magazine. The car wasn't yet in production because of a wood shortage.

Stu Chapman

It's already taken care of, Stu. Dan Strohl and I exchanged e-mails about it yesterday.

I referred him to the June 2012 Turning Wheels, with the woodie on the cover, since they have complete files of Turning Wheels in the Hemmings Editorial office there in Bennington, Vermont. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      It's already taken care of, Stu. Dan Strohl and I exchanged e-mails about it yesterday.

I referred him to the June 2012 Turning Wheels, with the woodie on the cover, since they have complete files of Turning Wheels in the Hemmings Editorial office there in Bennington, Vermont. BP
      I knew you'd take care of it Bob.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Well, there really was two prototypes. The other one wasn't a woody, but had some sort of plastic or fibreglas back half. It too was rescued from the graveyard. Actually I think just the plastic was the only salvageable part. An SDCer has it in his possession as far as I know.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
          Well, there really was two prototypes. The other one wasn't a woody, but had some sort of plastic or fibreglas back half. It too was rescued from the graveyard. Actually I think just the plastic was the only salvageable part. An SDCer has it in his possession as far as I know.
          I believe the July, 1997 issue of Turning Wheels gives an excellent, in-depth story on that one.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for posting this Stu. I was wanting to do this myself but had other irons in the fire. Glad to see BP was all over it. Can't wait to see the follow-up article.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I also sent Lentinello (HCC editor) a note about it!

Comment

Working...
              X