Body shop Rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body shop Rant!

yesterday, I hit a couple body shops for estimates (Names withheld)

All I really want is to knock the dents out, add the filler, prime and paint with a good quality paint, not the Cheap stuff.. Keep this in mind.
    The whole bottom and frame is in POR-15 as well as the insides of the fenders and engine bay of the truck. the bed is off, as was everything else (cab, fenders, engine)before I painted the bottom and re-installed it over a freshly painted frame/running gear. It even wobbles around the yard.

Shop#1 was a collision and restoration shop. I had asked for an estimate as I assume that generally the cost in the end is at least 25% above that, but I need a ballpark of some sort anyway.... The shop manager stated that they only do $50/hour on restorations for reason of being a restoration and what you can get involved in.
    He then proceeded to give me some examples, including a 62? GT Hawk that apparently the owner is into this car for $55k at this point and it's just now getting the doors, etc put back on for the final time (final paint is done, just reassembly needed), no interior, etc.
    HELLO! Where are the TV Cameras? Am I being Punked?

Shop#2, I've dealt with before on more modern stuff.
    The long story short is that I was told to bring it back when I'm a little further along and the doors and fenders are replaced with NEW....
    Can anybody tell me where to get a set of NEW C-Cab Doors and Fenders? Aint happenin.....

So, I guess I'm still searchin.
    Or Screw em, I'll end up doin it myself, however, I'm getting too old for this crap.

It's no wonder, everybody's either goin Rat-Rod, or dumpin them on Fleabay....

I was expecting to spend $1500 just to paint the cab (inside and out), front fenders, hood and a couple wheels.

Geesh, what's a CASO to do??

If your looking for a $1500 paint job you will have to go Maco. Even then anybody work will run the bill way up. They charge big time for dents and body repair to off set their cheap paint work. Just from what your listing I would say your looking at $5000-10,000 depending on what you expect it to be when done.

Comment

Welcome to the 1980's.....
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Shop charges are out of sight these days. I am going to try painting my car myself, but it may never get past the primer stage. Sometimes I think a poor boy like me should just sit on the bank and fish.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Years ago, YEARS ago...
          I talked to a couple of shops about painting my 1950 Anglia. I told them that the car was about the size of a VW, simillar shape. I wanted two colors, the type paint didn't matter.
          Out of three quotes, I took it to a shop that did very nice work on my girlfriends car (69 Z-28).

When I pulled up with it on the trailer, the guy says...it's a "race car"...!? I said, yea, "what difference does that make" ? New quote...almost double the original quote, that wasn't cheap to start with..!
          Go figure...he had no explanation of nearly doubling the price. AND...mind you, I had done all of the body work myself. Just sand, seal and paint. No fancy prime, block sand, prime, block sand, four more times... JUST a simple paint job.

A long story short, I found a place on the way home that day, that ended up doing the work for about half the original shops quote, and the guy did a great job, with quality paint. This was back in about 1972, the car STILL has the original paint on it (nothing new over it !), and still looks somewhat presentable.
          This guy normally did "big rig" trucks and was happy to do something small...

So yea...get used to it.

Mike

Comment

The only other thing you can do is ask around at the local auto shows for recommendations on folks that will work on it in their spare time. There are a couple of folks locally that augment their income by moonlighting doing paint and body work. Realistically, they would rather do paint so the heavy lifting on body work is best done buy the owner.

On the other hand, if you had a shop and fed your family with the proceeds, I'll bet you wouldn't take restoration work other than time and materials. Firm quotes on restoration work only happen on "reality" shows.

Good luck, Bob

Comment

Take it to a local college or high School who have a body shop program.

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                Take it to a local college or high School who have a body shop program.
                Just what I was thinking! Our local community college has an auto body shop / class. They may take a few moths but the instructors there make sure the job is done right.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I painted my car a couple years ago, and besides the endless hours of prep work, the materials cost over $2000.00! Since then I have found that most auto body paint stores have access to cheaper brands, that I'm sure spray on just as nice, at least for us amateurs.
                  I was going to suggest what sweetolbob referred to; see if any body and paint employees moonlight, especially now during the "off" season (at least in areas that have snow and ice in winter).

Comment

Comment

Um...just a heads up, be carefull of the schools work.
                      It's about 50/50 from what I've seen...good work to, do it over work.

An actual painter "outside" of his normal work days is a better deal from my experience. But it also can take a while. After all, he IS working on his days/hours "off"..!

Mike

Comment

I have always painted my own and found the key is a supplier that is willing to discuss what your situation is, for example, on my Lark, I told them doesn't have to be the best stuff, but good and durable for a home done job, he had a recomendation that was about 1/3 the price of the stuff the local restoration shop uses.  Sprayed great doing the trimming, will be used on the whole car as soon as it is back together.  Basically is was a gen 1 ppg base/clear.  He said this particular generation also allowed me to shoot some of the less expensive primers, etc, so will save me a ton on the whole job.

I would talk to a local auto body supply store, not a parts store that sells paint, but the stores that supply the pro's tell them you are looking for someone to shoot the thing is stages, that is easy to work with, whatever else you need, tell them the big shops scared you off, they will probably have a name or 2 for you. I know my local suppliers would.

Big shops that do not call themselves "Restoration" shops do not want old stuff, especially the shops that are doing insurance work, they take too long, the owners are too picky.  Some shops don't want to spray over other peoples body work, so what you need is a either a small shop that likes the old time stuff, or a guy doing it on the side.  Just make sure you do not end up with someone that takes the truck or parts in and never seems to get them done!  Seen that before!

Comment

.  .  . 

I have seen computer typed info displayed incorrectly this way before. How does it happen, Why?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yep, seems that all they want is to remove a panel, put some cheap Mexican/chinese panel on there, squirt some paint at it and charge your insurance $3k.....

nobody seems to want to do hammer and dolly work anymore without big$$$$$

Guess I'm in the Studebaker Body business.

Comment

Mrs K Corbin, I just sent you a private message w/ a possibility...good luck, jb

Comment

Working...
                              X