'51 a Champion or Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 a Champion or Commander?

We have a 51 Starlight coupe with a serial number of 8150943. Is it a Champion or Commander?

Thanks for the help!!

Rob

You do not know if it is a Champion 170 Flathead 6, or a Commander 232 V8?

Champions have a "G" Prefix to the Serial Number, that Serial is a South Bend built '51 Commander.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-09-2015, 03:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe he got it without an engine and is not familiar with the difference in the dashes and the like.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the reply!!

We bought the car a number of years ago as a partially completed street rod. It has a 302 Ford in it so motor wouldn't work. The suspension was also replaced so couldn't check on the lug nuts. I think the Champions had four lugs per wheel rather than the five. I don't know about the dash differences.

We just applied for a new title as we moved from out of state. Model on the title was listed as Bullet Nose which is not correct so wanted to see about getting it corrected.

I hoped that I would be able to find out the correct model here and you did it!! Thank you very much.

Rob

Comment

Rob,
          "Bullet Nose" on the title is definitely a whacked out nomenclature. Your critical information would be on the body tag, engine side of the firewall in front of the passenger.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rayoung55 View Post
            Thanks for the reply!!

We bought the car a number of years ago as a partially completed street rod. It has a 302 Ford in it so motor wouldn't work. The suspension was also replaced so couldn't check on the lug nuts. I think the Champions had four lugs per wheel rather than the five. I don't know about the dash differences.

We just applied for a new title as we moved from out of state. Model on the title was listed as Bullet Nose which is not correct so wanted to see about getting it corrected.

I hoped that I would be able to find out the correct model here and you did it!! Thank you very much.

Rob
            Studerich comes in handy sometimes, it's a rare thing but we kinda like him.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
              Studerich comes in handy sometimes, it's a rare thing but we kinda like him. Dean.
              Seriously?
              I will not stand by letting you get away with that comment just because I bailed you out once.

Dad is one of the most helpful folks on this Forum.
              He has forgotten more about Studebakers then most folks will ever learn.
              His approach isn't always the best, but he knows his stuff.
              I'm not saying this because he's my Dad.
              I am saying it because it is true.

StudeDave '57
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by rayoung55 View Post
                Thanks for the reply!!

Rob
                By 51 the Champions had 5 lugs also. The dash in a Commander has 3 large round bezels facing the driver, on a Champion the speedometer and gauges are housed in a single enclosure with a glass face. That is, if the former owner didn't modify the gauge area. If I was on my home computer I would post some pictures, but if you just Google 1951 Studebaker you should have lots of pictures for examples.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeDave57;913624][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS] Seriously?
                  I will not stand by letting you get away with that comment just because I bailed you out once.

Dad is one of the most helpful folks on this Forum.
                  He has forgotten more about Studebakers then most folks will ever learn.
                  His approach isn't always the best, but he knows his stuff.
                  I'm not saying this because he's my Dad.
                  I am saying it because it is true.

I believe it,
                  I should have asked him about this 51 landcruiser rear seat that is 4" too wide for my 52 hard top.

But I can fix it!

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                  X