New old car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old car

I just read that someone in Florida was going to produce a new original Mustang with modern running gear. If only someone would do that with the iconic '53 Starliner...
    peter lee

Saw that done on a show a couple of weeks ago on Velocity. They took a brand new repop 65 Mustang fastback body, removed the outer skin from a 2012 Mustang and put the 65 Mustang body over the new Mustang. When they got done they had a car that on the outside looked like a 65 mustang and underneath it was all 2012.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
      I just read that someone in Florida was going to produce a new original Mustang with modern running gear. If only someone would do that with the iconic '53 Starliner...
      Modern drive would be nice for the added fuel economy and air conditioning, but, I'd like an original 53 Champion with the flat head six for it's clean beautiful simplicity.
      The white 53 Champion in the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend is my dream car.

Comment

Jay Leno had that done to a 1966 Olds Toronado.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
          I personally would not spend over 100K for such a car, be it a Studebaker or a Mustang.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Here it is:

BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Really a lot of money for a glorified Ford Falcon!

Comment

The company is planing to put the Mustang into production at $100,000 each. The cars will look like very much like an original Mustang but with modern running gear.

I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  Really a lot of money for a glorified Ford Falcon!

Kinda like the late Kelly Avantis?

Comment

Not a bad idea, but the price is overboard. This can be done with just about any body shell Dynacorn makes.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I totally LIKE the concept, it should be Great driving Car, I like it.

I don't see why you could not build that and sell it for $50-$60,000.00 at least, but maybe that is why I am not a Mathematician or the CEO of that Company!

How much desirability MARKUP do you suppose it has?
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I absolutely HATE those headlights. UGH! It totally spoils the whole look and they look like hubcaps pasted on where headlights should be. Better to see it from behind, I guess.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          I absolutely HATE those headlights. UGH! It totally spoils the whole look and they look like hubcaps pasted on where headlights should be. Better to see it from behind, I guess.
                          AMEN to that, Scott; I couldn't agree more.

They jump out like a sore thumb...and an ugly one at that. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            AMEN to that, Scott; I couldn't agree more.

They jump out like a sore thumb...and an ugly one at that. BP

Right, makes me wonder WHAT they are. I have never seen a headlight that looks like a mirror!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know there have been several attempts at Replica production. One that comes to mind is the Shay Model A replicas. How many "Replica" moguls can you name? Were any produced in numbers that could be considered a success? Are there any replica firms with a long standing, profitable, business? I've seen some fairly good replica renditions of the early Vette, and Thunderbird. Some, better than others. However, I don't know of any that sustained a long run. Not that they haven't...I just don't know.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X