Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champion Bumper Guards, Are These Original or Repro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Bumper Guards, Are These Original or Repro?

Here's something I hadn't noticed until today when I removed my 1950 Champion bumper guards to clean and paint the insides. The far right is from the front and has the bottom fold seam welded and ground smooth on the outside before it was chromed. The two on the left came off the rear of the same car and the bottom seam is simply folded with no welding. My car was restored 20 years ago and I'm wondering if the rears might be repro, or could the fronts and rears both be original? Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Bumper Guards1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1746355Click image for larger version

Name:	Champion Bumper Guards2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1746356

That would have to be a later production or a Different Supplier difference, there never have been, and never will be ANY reproductions of those.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The one on the right appears to have been welded, ground, polished and re-plated. Rich is right; there have never been repros of these. Note the stamping irregularities in the originals.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey Tom
        I tried to take some photos upside down but it was just to dark in the cold garage. All four of my bumper guards have the seam so someone welded and re-chromed yours to make them pretty. I know most people will not see them but they will look good when the car is on a lift

Ron

Comment

I just got my NOS guard in the mail today, and it has the smooth welded bottom seam. So it looks like both the welded and unwelded seam are original.
          Now I wonder if it was a running production change, or just more than one supplier?

Comment

Working...
          X