Studebaker Avanti VINs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti VINs

I have seen 1963 Studebaker Avanti VIN plates (serial number) two ways on two different cars.

63 R-XXXX and R-XXXX

Is one not correct?

Both are correct. After a particular date (someone here will know) the year designation was dropped inline with the 'running changes' program.

Chris.

Comment

Not sure about serial numbers but the order code on the production orders as follows:Avantis from serial 1001 to 1285 had an order code of 63 RQ. From #1286 thru #2723 the order code was 63 RQ 3270, from serial 2724 thru 4891 it was 63 RQ 3370. From #4892 thru the end it was RQ 4370.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The "Q" was not part of the official serial number until after Studebaker. Avanti motors used the "RQA and RQB" designations
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
          Both are correct. After a particular date (someone here will know) the year designation was dropped inline with the 'running changes' program.

Chris.
          Service Letter G-1964-3B, 5/13/64, includes: with S/N R-3100, the year model designation was removed from the S/N plate.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

studegary, you might wish to check this one... "63R-3470"
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
              studegary, you might wish to check this one... "63R-3470"
              I see it. I also see that this S/N plate has been altered/changed between frames and who knows what else.

I was going by what is in the Studebaker Service Letter that I have in front of me. Of course, we know that not all Studebakers were assembled in order of S/N.

I also noted that someone posted a Service Letter (maybe later) agreeing with what I posted here over on the AOAI Forum.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X