Getting older?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can keep it going

I work with teenagers and am always talking old cars with them. I boost Studes (without being obvious about it), showing kids Avantis, Hawks, Daytonas and Bulletnoses. I've turned the eyes of more than a few previously Chevy- and Ford-oriented kids toward the lazy S. Work it!

Comment

Albert, great post!
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well stated Albert. Now get back to work on your Lark Wagon!
        Bill

Comment

maybe Studebakers are just the ticket for the young collectors. They were always touted as being economical to own and operate and look at the raw materials that are saved by using an old car verses buying new! reduce, reuse and recycle is the mantra we hear often! Maybe the six cylinders will be getting more respect! <G>

Comment

I am 32 and have heard of the dying automotive industry for years, but I'm not sure the facts actually back that up. As a millennial, it has long been stated that we simply aren't buying cars because we weren't interested and that the auto industry was in trouble as a result. However, the auto industry has come out and said that is not correct, that the economy was the greatest driver (no pun intended) for car purchases and that millennials weren't buying cars because of the lack of jobs between 2007-2011. But since the economy has turned around, sales to millennials has also turned around to the point we are actually increasing our share of the marketplace, while the entire industry has seen an uptick in sales.

Like Albert mentioned above, our generation has lost some of the mechanical skills needed to work on cars, but I still see a strong passion from many of my friends and acquitances, whether that means working on the cars ourselves or outsourcing that to the professionals. I currently drive a 2009 Corvette, a fellow millennial friend has a 2011 M3, another one has a 1972 Buick GSX 455 making over 575 HP at the wheels. I've got friends in my age bracket building Cobra kit cars after having built a Mustang road racer, another is restoring a 60's Impala, one races Vipers, another purchased his dream car straight out of college, ect ect.

I recently sold my Studebaker as I look to pay down some debt. I plan on purchasing a '53 Starliner to restore this fall or next spring, but the one that was must crushed by my decision to sell the car was my 8 year old "Little Brother" in the Big Brother Big Sister program. However, when I told him that I was looking to find a Starliner to actually restore, not purchase complete, he became overjoyed by the possibility of buildng a car the way "we" want it. He talks about finding a car and what we will need to do on an almost weekly basis, he is thrilled by the possibility to build a car. In fact, it will not surprise me one bit when my "little" builds a 1932 Ford Coupe with a giant blown engine or pushes me into building a "Stupidbaker" racing clone for the salt flats. My 15 year old cousin is also a huge car nut and wants to get his first car at the Auburn car auction this fall. Most of my friends are very well educated, holding masters or doctorate degrees, while my "little" and cousin are both in the 90 to 95th percentile for their age group for grades. So it could be that my group of friends has more expendible income than other people my age, but most of that expendible income is going to their automotive passions. The hobby has a long, long way to go before it dies.

Justin

Comment

Everybody has there own opinion, and their own story. I bought my first antique car at age 24. My dad got me interested in old cars, although he was not into the "hobby" whatsoever. He showed me cars that he had as a younger man, and talked fondly of the cars he knew growing up (he was born in 1923). He never even owned a Studebaker, even though he was born, raised, and died in South Bend. His father worked in the Studebaker foundry, and one of his brothers and many other friends and relatives worked at Studebaker. That first antique I purchased was a 36 Ford Tudor Sedan in 1977. I've owned 2 Studeys, and still have a 63 Lark Regal, plus two other non-Studeys. So you don't even have to be raised in the hobby to appreciate it! Just wish I had more mechanical skills! I hope the hobby continues to grow and flourish, in some way, shape and form. As a history buff, it is a great feeling to be able to drive a piece of history . . . a time machine so to speak.

Comment

We have to educate these younger auto hobbyist about Studebakers and Packards. Many do not even know what a Studebaker or Packard is as they haven't been manufactured for so long. Many of us as I do, enjoy these cars due to fact they are what we connect with. Either we were born into the world of Studebakers or were customers when they we being sold new or used. Studebakers are part of my DNA, my Dad brought me home from the hospital in a Studebaker and he bought a new one every two or three years until 1964, that 64 became my first Studebaker and have owned many since. They are a part of what I am. Younger hobbyist won't or maybe can't have that type of connection.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Nope, all the actual data I've seen suggests that most "getting into" the car "hobby" now or whatever one wishes to call it are NOT doing it with antiqued orphans (what one 20ish parts store guy calls "...obvious automotive deadends. They're in museums."). Are there exceptions, well of course, but that doesn't make it at trend.

Most younger people go with cars which they know and/or grew up with, or are growing up with. Ask any of them what cars they would really like to have that they could actually aspire to in say 10 or 15 years and see what they say. It's far more complex than what they can afford--the same as for "us."

Now, as I patronize the local auto parts stores, all of which have no shortage of young guys working at them, guys who are often into cars as well as selling parts for them, what are they driving, modding (they don't "hot rod" like the ol' codgers), wanting to talk about? The cars already in their lives or some direct descendent/off-shoot thereof. Studebaker, Packard, Hudson, etc. etc.? Well, some have at least heard of a few of them and they are sometimes startled when confronted by nice functioning examples and maybe even wowed to some extent. But, such examples are just an anomaly to most, not something to want to explore further, or heaven forbid, actually own themselves someday. Again, are there exceptions, sure--one kid really seems to nearly swoon over my cars... from all five stores I frequent. A good sample, no--I am a statistician--but a representative one? just, maybe so...
                  Last edited by Xcalibur; 02-09-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajalstude View Post
                    However, many of the observations up above appear to be address many of the very real reasons as to why younger people aren't car aficionados like they were in days past.
                    Hello All,
                    Permit me to introduce myself, I am JC Allison. I've been lurking your very nice forum for a couple of months, and have finally decided to post something. Permit me to provide a bit of background. I'm seventy-six years old, graduated high school in 1957. My first car was a 1931 Model-A Ford Two-Door Crown Victoria which I purchased for $75.00. It was obtained when I was seventeen, and all I did was work on it as I was too young to get a driver's license. I never did get to drive it on the street for a fellow offered me $750.00 for it, and I sold it to him. My next car was a 1942 Mercury that was fourteen years old, and had 1,400 miles on the odometer. It was in perfect condition (except for tires), and I got it for $100.00 from an elderly gentleman to whom I used to go read a couple of times a week. I sold it for $850.00 when the accountant for my father's business had the dubious fortune to have her husband (a scientist type) give her a brand new Studebaker Lark with a six cylinder engine. When she found out how much he paid for it (and he had been severely overcharged), she got angry, and to spite him sold me her 1946 Oldsmobile Two-Door Sedan with a flat-head six and a vacuum shift three speed manual transmission for $40.00. I drove that car to work, saved my money, sold it for $790.00, and paid cash for a brand new 1959 Studebaker Hawk with the 259.2 C.I., three speed + O.D. Transmission.

My lurking your forum is because I consider the 1953/54/55 Studebaker coupes the most beautiful cars ever built, and would love to have one.

Alas, I seem to already be stuck (if that is a proper term) with two VERY rare old vehicles, both of which were acquired without any design of owning them as a collector. The first one is the only surviving 1967 Dodge P200 Postal Van, which I bought from the Houston Post Office in 1975. Her name is Lorrie Van Haul. She is world famous, and if you Google her name, you will find she is everywhere on the Internet. The other rare vehicle is Ms. American 3.14159, the only 1967 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that good finds on the whole WWW. A search of her name will reveal gobs of information about her, and from the people on FordMuscleForum, it is believed that Ms. American is the only Four-Door Hard-Top Police Interceptor ever built. She was purchased new by my father as my mother's daily driver. When my mother could no longer pass her driver's eye test, my father gave it to me in 1986.

With all of that said, let me share with you a bit of an insight that I've had about the subject of the future of the old car hobby. Am afraid that there isn't going to be any old car hobby in another thirty years. Why? Because what we call old cars will be the domain of antique dealers, and today's cars won't be an object of hobbiests because of the inability to work on them without computer equipment made to access their electronics. Those people who have the computer equipment won't be car hobbiests, they will be into the old computer hobby.

Nonetheless, I've enjoyed my access of your forum, and may if the occasion arises, post more, as the story of my long gone (but still beloved) '59 Hawk is a saga that might be of interest. And though I'm a dilettante when it comes to mechanics, I still do everything necessary to keep both Lorrie and the 3.14 alive, seeing as to how they can be maintained with a minimum of electronic equipment (timing light and dwell meter) and more hand tools that I can ever make full use of.

Hope this finds you all doing well.

JC

Comment

If I may use myself as an example, I'd say its entirely natural that the hobby is made up of older generations, and always will be, because of the aforementioned reasons. But it is also because its older folks who have the disposable income and the time to afford such a pastime. I have been a lifelong Studebaker enthusiast, but was only able to buy my first one last year at age 51. I don't think I am the exception to the rule.
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                        If I may use myself as an example, I'd say its entirely natural that the hobby is made up of older generations, and always will be, because of the aforementioned reasons. But it is also because its older folks who have the disposable income and the time to afford such a pastime. I have been a lifelong Studebaker enthusiast, but was only able to buy my first one last year at age 51. I don't think I am the exception to the rule.
                        Excellent point. I was 57 when I became a Stude Nut. Late arriving enthusiasts will keep the marquee going although the total numbers probably will decrease through the years. Unless the climate change myth turns out to be factual, there will be plenty of Stude people indefinitely.
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I think the fact that older people can afford the hobby may be the reason why the hobby has more older people. I am now 40 and have always loved Studebaker's and old cars in general however never had the money it took to have a really nice car. Sure I had a few Classic's but never really nice restored ones. I recently picked up a 50 Champion that was very sold. At first I was thinking about flipping it as I got if for a good price. I got it running and put on 300 miles before the fiber timing gear started to go and by that time I was hooked on the old girl. The engine and trans is being pulled this week for a rebuild. New wiring is going in followed by paint and new chrome. When its all said and done I should have less than 10k in the car and have a very nice driver that I can afford. Now that being said at age 40 10k is a big deal for me to drop on a hobby. I will be able to swing it but it was not that long ago that 10k would have been out the question. I know a lot of people younger than me that love old cars and my Champion is proof. Just showing it off has got them looking for a find like I got. So no worries lots of people love old Studebaker's. Now if I could just get her back on the road and get rid of the nasty porta-walls

Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front end.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1695543Click image for larger version

Name:	Back bumper.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1695544Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's 50 Champion.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1695545

Comment

There are kids out there who are interested in old Studes and other old cars. Last year I went to look at a 1960 Hawk that had a built supercharged 289 and nitrous. the guy who owned it was in his late teens, early 20s. He drove it daily and loved the car and the only reason he was selling is because he decided to invest into his future instead. He claims he bought the car from a guy who used to race it in Bonneville salt flats.

Plus then there are the rat rod guys who are almost always in their 20s. We have a bunch of rat rod clubs around where I live and I dont think many of the members are over 30.

Also, when I push the old hawk out into the driveway to work on it, it gets more attention from the younger crowd than it does from the old folks. I think most older people think its just another old worthless Studebaker and walk away, while younger guys are curious and ask about it because its so different than your average "old" car.

Comment

.... I see a problem with only desirable, fully restored cars surviving time. If the trend is towards an older hobby person, who hasn't learned how to turn a wrench..... who's going to fix his car ? Much like the economy: only the 2%'ers with their Corvettes and T-birds, and Golden Hawks. No room for anything less. Than there's the "investment" angle..... tough math, but real.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                                .... I see a problem with only desirable, fully restored cars surviving time. If the trend is towards an older hobby person, who hasn't learned how to turn a wrench..... who's going to fix his car ? Much like the economy: only the 2%'ers with their Corvettes and T-birds, and Golden Hawks. No room for anything less. Than there's the "investment" angle..... tough math, but real.
                                I do not think this is the case. I am restoring a 1950 Champion 4 door and I know the NADA Book price is not that high. Low is 5,151, mid 11,600 and high book is 21,560. I am doing for the love of Studebaker's. I like the look of the car and just want to get out on the road and enjoy a piece of history. The car has been waiting for me for 35 years and soon she will be a good example of what people drove every day 65 years back.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X