• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Hawk" .......... Custom Guitar

Guitar of the Month

http://www.projectguitar.com/topic/47330-guitar-of-the-month-for-july/

The Hawk

Well, this looks like it is shaping up to be quite a month, so I will go ahead and add my latest, as it is also one of the coolest I have done so far.

This was a custom commission for one of my favorite customers, who asked for a mutation of the classic Gibson Firebird, giving me free rein to do as I please with the details, which partly accounts for his favored status.

The body is composed of a salvaged poplar center block, with wings made from spalted sycamore, capped with salvaged elm barnwood. I kept the curves of the original Firebird body shape, but mixed them up, placing both long points on the top, and scaling them all appropriately. This not only gives better upper fret access, but places the front strap button further toward the center of the guitar for better balance. The original Gibson design was by Ray Dietrich, who was an automobile designer by trade, and evidently not a guitarist.
    The neck is red maple, with a persimmon fretboard and tortoise celluloid binding.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Well, as a guy who's been building and repairing guitars since the late 70's, I must say I find this one interesting. Has a kind of steampunk thing going on. Dig the Hawk!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is one cool guitar! I really like it.

Comment

guitar

Click image for larger version

Name:	trigger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1695070Click image for larger version

Name:	wj in the case.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1695071 guitar's--- you got to love them, here are a couple of iconic ones as well, The one on the left is Willie's "trigger" and the one on the right is Waylon Jennings. I have to admit that is one nice guitar you created, love the Hawk emblem--
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
          guitar's--- you got to love them, here are a couple of iconic ones as well, The one on the left is Willie's "trigger" and the one on the right is Waylon Jennings. I have to admit that is one nice guitar you created, love the Hawk emblem--

Just to be clear.. I just posted the link to this gem...
          Here's the builders' link.....
          http://www.dismalax.com/

He has some contact info and a blog of his own...

I just thought it was cool!

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Did you scroll down in his blog to his selfie?
            I'd rather look at his work....
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I'm confused. Deepnhock, did you build this guitar, or was it the luthier in Post #5? All of these guitars are nice. Funny that just the other day, I was thinking that some barn wood I have would make a neat solid-body electric.

Comment

I just posted the link to the guitar info source.
                thought it was interesting.

(real classy comment, Chris.....)

Jeff

Comment

(real classy comment, Chris.....)
                  I just thought he should have chosen a different shade of blue for his eyeliner.

Comment

Looks great but where is the supercharger.

Comment

And to think, I've been wasting all that time sanding guitars when I build them...

Seriously though, his work is interesting.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                      X