Instrument Light Switch Needed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument Light Switch Needed....

...for my 64 GT Hawk. Any advice out there?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

You can use 1558720 White, '63-'64 GT Hawk Hi, Off, Lo Headlight Switch, will work for Instrument Lights with or without the not needed Circuit breaker in line.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Must have lost my mine!....they are all white, not black. Sorry for the run around, but thanks for helping me solve the problem. All the instrument switches on mine have black knobs...where both black and white available for 64? A club member sold me, what we both thought at the time, was 64 switch. I soon realized that the switch in question had a white knob and also had entirely different wiring than the one I removed.
      Originally posted by Stanwood
      It may be easier to get the earlier part number and repaint (or very skillfully switch) the black knob for white. I'm out of both, but had far more of the earlier, black style. Love the '64 Hawks--they "Saved the best for last!".
      Last edited by Lou Van Anne; 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM. Reason: Blindness?
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

No '63's or '64's would have had Black Switches "from the Factory", the last part is KEY!

As is usually the case, there is no big mystery about most of these parts. There is almost always a logical common sense reason for what occurs.

In the case of the Black Knob Toggle Switches, there is way more demand and Qty. available and always has been of the these over the White ones, because with a simple wire terminal change from "Bullet" to flat "Spade" type, you can swap these all day from '57 thru '62 Models.

Lou, in the case of your "entirely different wiring" switch, it was NOT an Instrument switch, but Defrost, Heat Fan or Headlight.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-05-2015, 08:25 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Lou, studebakerparts.com (Chuck Collins) does have the 1558720 ivory handle HL switch listed Rich referred to for $40.00. He has had them reproduced.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If you have a steady hand, you can usually take the switches apart and swap the toggle parts.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Check with Robert Kapteyn, he has inventory from 29 dealerships.

Comment

I usually have the opposite problem, trying to make a white toggle out of a black one. If you don't find a black handled switch, let me know and I'll dig through my "extra GT stuff" boxes and see if I have one.

Comment

TY everyone. I got a headlight switch from Chuck. It will circumvent the problem nicely...nobody will ever know the difference.
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                  X