'63 Avanti Early or Late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Avanti Early or Late?

Many studebakers, but my first Avanti! I'm the proud new owner of 1963 Avanti R1713. It was and is, a bit of a mechanical and electrical mess. I need to rebuild the center steer bellcrank area, and I know some pins were bushings, others bearings. Is there a specific VIN where this changed?
    Any info would be gelpful
    THX

Get a copy of the parts manual and shop manual. The parts manual will tell at what serial number any changes took place. Both are very available in print and CD form.

BTW...R1713 is the 713th Avanti built out of 4643 production cars.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Your car will have bearings. Bushings started with R-3074.
      Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Your Avanti was built during November 1962.

Good luck with it. I have owned a few and am in the market for another.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

While you're under there, just keep going. Best thing one can do for a Studebaker is make all the tie rod ends, bushings, bearings, shocks and brakes new at the same time.

It's a major labor task, but it's not prohibitively expensive for parts and will drive like a new car when you're done.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Since you have owned other Studebakers, you probably know this but I think that it is worth mentioning (for others) - Be sure that the play that you experience and attribute to the bellcrank shaft bearings is really in the bearings and not just a loose cinch bolt (a common occurance).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi Don't count on it having bushings as it should have , I took a 66 Daytona apart and found bearings as its an easy swap to do , Ed

Comment

Onward!

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                While you're under there, just keep going. Best thing one can do for a Studebaker is make all the tie rod ends, bushings, bearings, shocks and brakes new at the same time.

It's a major labor task, but it's not prohibitively expensive for parts and will drive like a new car when you're done.

jack vines
                Good advice! Body is next, back to original Color!Maybe......

Comment

Originally posted by mrkfrbrn@gmail.com View Post
                  Many studebakers, but my first Avanti! I'm the proud new owner of 1963 Avanti R1713. It was and is, a bit of a mechanical and electrical mess. I need to rebuild the center steer bellcrank area, and I know some pins were bushings, others bearings. Is there a specific VIN where this changed?
                  Any info would be gelpful
                  THX
                  R-1713 was completed on 11 / 8 / 62; it was shipped to Tracy, CA. Original color was Avanti Turquoise with pleated (Regal) Elk vinyl interior. Engine number was RS-1346, body number 63RQ-888. Options were supercharger, Powershift, tinted windshield, power steering, Firestone 500 WW tires, windshield washers, AM radio and rear speaker, quiet exhaust system, and seat belts. At the bottom of the production order it says SOLD RUSH, meaning it was an ordered car.

Good luck with it.

George
                  george krem

Comment

Are you sure you need a complete rebuild of the bell crank?? Check the pinch bolt first. If it did not get tight at some point of service, you will get sloppy steering and its as easy as snugging up the pinch bolt. Do that first before you disassemble the whole front end. It may surprise you how much improvement you might see.
                    sals54

Comment

I'm all in favor of a complete rebuild unless one knows otherwise, meaning the maintenance/repair history, but that said, also check the end-play of the center-pivot. That, too, can make it seem like a disaster to drive.

Comment

George!
                        you have just put my mind at ease! So the supercharger IS original to the car! Many thanks
                        Mark!

Comment

Goin' in! Will keep you posted!
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X