Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Among my souvenirs #5 (1958 hardtop ad poster)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Among my souvenirs #5 (1958 hardtop ad poster)

Original large approx. 15 X 22" format. In the "did you know" department...The early models in this body style were referred to simply as hardtops. It wasn't until a few months after production that they began using the old "Starlight" name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 hardtops big ad copy 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1745020
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

That was the color scheme of my old '58 Commander. Wish I knew if that car still exists. I sold it to a fellow SDCer. Richard, is this something peculiar to hardtops or were other body styles featured in this format?
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Richard

Everyone else had glamorous, evocative names for their hardtops, Studebaker-Packard should have promoted "Starlight" as an instant identifier for their hardtops. Better perhaps would have been to reserve "Starlight" for Studebakers; revived "Mayfair", "Panama", "Pacific", "Constellation" or "400" for the '58 Packard hardtop.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        That was the color scheme of my old '58 Commander. Wish I knew if that car still exists. I sold it to a fellow SDCer. Richard, is this something peculiar to hardtops or were other body styles featured in this format?
        Bob; I have never seen any other 1958 ads of this nature.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

I really like the single headlight Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by decappastubbie View Post
            Those were only available on Champion Sedans. Commander and President were Standard with Dual Headlights.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by decappastubbie View Post
              To expand the subject/answer beyond hardtops for 1958 -
              Scotsman - single headlights
              Champion - single headlights in dual rims standard with dual headlights as an option
              Hawks - single headlights
              all others - dual headlights.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi

If I could, I'd go to my friendly, neighborhood Studebaker-Packard dealer, order a fully-power optioned '58 Packard hardtop with overdrive and ........... insist on the Champion single headlights in the dual rims and pods!

As long as I paid good bucks, bet they'd have built it!

Steve

Comment

Always wondered if there was a '59 Lark styling study where they used this one-year-only roof on one - might have looked pretty good...

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    Always wondered if there was a '59 Lark styling study where they used this one-year-only roof on one - might have looked pretty good...
                    I remember seeing something in TW about that a few years ago. Can't remember the details, but it seems like Engineering mocked one up.

Sal posted this a while back.

I always liked the '58 J body roof. Looked much better than any of the Lark hardtop roofs. JMHO.

Comment

If anyone has a 58 President hardtop and wants a nice original 14" x 18" ink and watercolor of one (red), let me know. I have one that you can have for the postage.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Found this additional Starlight ad while looking for something else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58 hardtop ad 2 vertical 8.5 x 11 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	1692710
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          Found this additional Starlight ad while looking for something else.
                          The benefit of this ad is that the Commander and President are referred to as Starlights and the Packard is referred to as a Hardtop.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, Starlight was reserved Studebakers only.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Hi

Perhaps the lack of a specific glamorous name for the Packard hardtop equivalent to Starlight was a subtle indication that management wasn't very hopeful it would be successful and sell well. The fellow who bought an Olds Super Eighty-Eight got a "Holiday" hardtop, the Desoto Firedome owner a "Sportsman" hardtop, the Mercury Montclair a "Phaeton" but the Packard buyer.......just a plain old hardtop, no glamorous moniker. Heck, not even a model name, "Clipper" having been retired for '58.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X