Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climatizer "block off plate" (under seat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climatizer "block off plate" (under seat)

A friend is removing the Climatizer from his Hawk to eventually install aftermarket air/heat. Since the Climatizer was an accessory, we'd like to install a factory "block off plate" after removing the heater core from under the seat. I can't find a part number for this item in the body parts catalog, so if anyone has a used one they would like to sell, please PM me or email me at brngarage@gmail.com. By the way, if it matters (I don't think so) it's a '56 Hawk. Thanks everyone!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I think the body's came covered and then plate removed and heater core installed, so there would not be a part number for the plate,might have to make one,
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

I'am going to have to build one for the 62 hawk body that I plan to use on my 64. I've looked at it and it looks like a easy panel to build. Not sure if I will make it as a bolt in or weld in but just use a peice of cardboard to make a pattern and transfer this to sheet metal about the same thickness as your floor.and seal with seam sealer when done.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
        I'am going to have to build one for the 62 hawk body that I plan to use on my 64. I've looked at it and it looks like a easy panel to build. Not sure if I will make it as a bolt in or weld in but just use a peice of cardboard to make a pattern and transfer this to sheet metal about the same thickness as your floor.and seal with seam sealer when done.
        Your mention of cardboard reminds me of something. I received a complaint of a large rust hole covered by cardboard in the floor of a Starliner that I sold. The car had an uninstalled heater, that I provided with the car. The cardboard was simply filling that hole in the floor until the heater was reinstaled. I guess that neither the owner nor the shop that was working on the car realized that the heater went in the floor.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wouldnt suggest using the cardboard as a block off panel. Although I did work on a 56 ford convert that someone had used sticky tape and undercoat to fix holes in the floor. Guy thought he had a nice clean rag top for about 6 months then found out he had 3 times what it was worth to get it done right.

Comment

Some folks mistake the fuel sending unit cover for cardboard, while it is actually a tar impregnated disc. I have no experience with climatizer deleted vehicles but could well be the same.
            If you need to make a delete plate, I would cut it from sheet metal, paint it well and bolt in to the original speed clips with a bead of dumm-dumm. That way it will be watertight and can always be easily reversed if any future owner wishes to. The original core well housing was dumm-dummed.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a climatizer block-off plate, but want to keep it. However, I'm willing to loan it to you Howard if you want to use it for a model for someone to reproduce. PM me if you're interested.
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Just a suggestion---trace the plate on a piece of paper, fold it and mail it to brngarage.

Comment

Dave and Robert:
                  Dave I appreciate your offer to loan me your block off plate, but Corvallis is pretty far from Los Angeles. Robert, I LIKE your suggestion; Dave can you trace the plate and mail the tracing to me? Please PM me for my address. Thanks again to ALL who contributed to this thread. Great example of what Studebaker people are all about!!
                  '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Originally posted by ert62 hawlk View Post
                    Just a suggestion---trace the plate on a piece of paper, fold it and mail it to brngarage.
                    It is a (slightly) 3-dimensional piece.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

If you can trace it, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X