1961 Champ - T-Cab - 6Es - forum registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    Patrick, are You sure that all 10" would be in front of the Fenders "and nothing in the back portion" ?
    I have to admit that I have never actually had a measuring tape and checked - they added two feet to the length of the bed and at least ten inches of that would have to be the fenders moving rearward, but then there is the other 14 inches - not sure which side (both?) that was added on.
    Last edited by 62champ; 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I have order the built sheet. Also what are the correct mirrors ? I see all kinds.

Comment

Exterior mirrors were an option and the basic factory was mounted just above the Champ emblem on the door - the mirror head was a square with rounded corners. They were pretty small and many people have found larger mirrors rather than keep them 100% original. Larger rectangular mirrors were available as well and were usually called "west coast" mirrors.
        Last edited by 62champ; 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          Patrick, are You sure that all 10" would be in front of the Fenders "and nothing in the back portion" ?
          Here is the difference between a 6 1/2 Ft. Bed and a 8 Ft. Bed:

That would be +10 Inches forward, and +8 Inches rear.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-19-2017, 12:06 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The seat has a split back, I see pictures of some with a solid back? It has a door lock on passenger side but not driver's side. Also I need to get the brakes fixed, any certain type. Thanks for all you help !!!

Comment

Your Truck has a Lark split back Front Seat in it.

The Brake assembly pictures are in Both the Studebaker 6E Truck Shop Manual and the 6E Truck Parts Catalog.
              Available at: http://studebakervendors.com

These Brakes are peculiar to 1956 to 1962 1/2 Ton Studebaker Trucks only. A Wagner/Lockheed Design with eccentric adjusters for each shoe. Parts need to come from the above Studebaker Vendors.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When you order the new shoes be sure to order new cam adjusters (2 per wheel). The old ones get hard to lock down over time and new ones are not expensive. You'll be glad you did. Also, make sure the shoes are installed in the reverse of how brake shoes are installed on most vehicles. If they are installed wrong they will not work very well at all.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ya I figured the back had to have some more inches also on the Long Beds. have to admit I always think of the 6' beds being just that,but really are 6.5'

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Here is the difference between a 6 1/2 Ft. Bed and a 8 Ft. Bed:

That would be +10 Inches forward, and +8 Inches rear.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

So would it be best to put the Turner Disc Brakes on the truck or rebuilt the four drum brakes? Also notice some of the valve covers on the 259's have 2 bolts and some have 4 bolts? Also the truck has a door lock on the passenger door but not on the driver's door? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new at this. I really appreciate all you help and info. Thanks

Comment

If you are going to do a lot of driving in traffic - where a quick stop is needed on a regular basis - the turner brakes might be the way to go. If not so much and you are used to looking a football field in front of you, then the drums would work - for better drum brakes, look for a set of 8Es - they went to the Bendix brakes and they work just like the cars - you can lock up all four wheels if the need arrives.

Mid-way through 1960, the V8 valve covers went from four to two bolts - not sure why - might have saved $.03 per valve cover.

Door lock on the passenger side goes back to the days of being a work truck "in the city". Driver would pull up to the curb, and instead of getting out on the street and getting run over, you were expected to slide over, exit the passenger door, and then lock it with the key. The driver side door was an option. As a side note, you cannot lock your keys in the truck. If you push the knob and close the door, it will unlock...

Don't worry about questions - you can always post these out in the greater forum instead of hiding them in here - might be more responses.

Comment

I'm still waiting on my production order to come in. Since it was born a 6 cyl and has a V8 in it with 2 bolt valve covers it must be must be a 60's or later. How can you tell the difference in a 259 verse 298 ?

Comment

Originally posted by WLB View Post
                          I'm still waiting on my production order to come in. Since it was born a 6 cyl and has a V8 in it with 2 bolt valve covers it must be must be a 60's or later. How can you tell the difference in a 259 verse 298 ?
                          Only external way to tell is by engine number - this webpage can help: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

Comment

Originally posted by WLB View Post
                            Just pull a Spark Plug, and look for or feel the Dished Piston used on 289's or the Flatop Piston used on 259's.
                            You also can check the Engine Serial number on the Machined Pad on the Left Front, Top corner of the Block, STAMPED INTO the surface.

A CAR 259 Serial starts with a "V", a 289 uses a "P" for President 289.
                            A Truck Standard 259 is a 3E, a Heavy Duty 259 = 5E, a H.D. 289 = 6E, a Standard 289 = 7E.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the number is P444I3

Comment

Just by adding a brake booster to the conventional braking system , my Champ became better instantly.
                                pb

Comment

Working...
                                X