Finally, an event for a set-up Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, an event for a set-up Lark

I would think a nicely-built, short-wheelbase V8 Lark could do well in this new competition:

As one of the persons posted in a comment, this is an idea long overdue.

It does require some serious investment in two identical courses, though, and they need to have exactly the same number of twisties in each direction to compensate for driver weight, so one lane doesn't have an advantage over another. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I should think a well decked out and balanced '53 to '55 coupe would fare well as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

If it is the typical gymkhana style course I think the long wheel base of the 53-64 coupes and hawks would put them at a disadvantage. But as Bob suggested a Lark, or even an Avanti with the shorter wheel base could be set up to do pretty well. Sounds like fun.
      Pat Dilling
      Olivehurst, CA
      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Right, Pat; I was thinking of the shortest wheelbase possible. 'Good point on an Avanti, too; maybe even better than a Lark due to the lower center of gravity.

Long-wheelbase cars are at a disadvantage in those types of events. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

A friend used to autocross a 1964 Challenger 2 dr. Lots of steering and suspension modifications using Studebaker parts and really fast, but not at all fancy looking. He finally quit when other newer American cars just made him completely uncompetitive, but there was a time when he could REALLY upset a lot mid/late 70's Trans Am owners.

Comment

Someone asked me how that antique Studebaker suspension could be competitive in a race. I told him, the autocross dictum is, "Any suspension design can work if you don't let it." The better autocross cars are set up so low and so stiff, it's akin to driving a giant go kart.

No matter how stiff the suspension, the defeating factor is still the high center of gravity and the nose-heavy weight bias. The only Stude I'd autocross would be a '65-66 and then only after painting some aluminum heads to match the block.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

"The better autocross cars are set up so low and so stiff, it's akin to driving a giant go kart.'

Good point Jack! Among the mods to my friend's car, were:
              Reversing a couple of the rear spring leaves to really flatten them out, with shorter beefy front coils on the fronts;
              Drilling a new hole in the bellcrank, closer to the pivot, to really speed up the steering (which then required power steering);
              Swapping the king pins right for left, to remove almost all of the caster and provide lots more camber;
              Steel A-arm bushings: and,
              A surprisingly strong 289 4spd.
              Result was twitchy/scary on the street, but pretty impressive on parking lot autocross courses.

Again, a lot of surprised TransAm drivers in his wake.
              PS, at the time this was F Stock class; essentially American rear wheel drive 8's excluding Corvettes.

Comment

Working...
              X