Studebakers Over My House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by jjones

I rode a B17 (Sentimental Journey, I seem to remember) and a Ford trimotor at the Oskosh EAA flyinn 30-some-odd years ago. I don't remember the price but I will never forget the rides or the experience of the Oskosh flyin.
    I took my ride in Sentimental Journey too. They had a gimmick. The FAA had a law that required everyone who flew in it had to be a memeber of some group, so when you paid for the flight you got a one year membership is some flying club.

I did find another B-17 that if you contribute $5000 one time, you get to bring yourself and a friend/wife etc. and get a free ride for life when they fly the plane from one city to another. The trick is to pick two cities that give you some flight time. For example if they ferried it from HPN to Long Island the whole flight would be about 20 min. and you would not get higher than 2500 ft before you started your approach.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jjones

I rode a B17 (Sentimental Journey, I seem to remember) and a Ford trimotor at the Oskosh EAA flyinn 30-some-odd years ago. I don't remember the price but I will never forget the rides or the experience of the Oskosh flyin.
      I took my ride in Sentimental Journey too. They had a gimmick. The FAA had a law that required everyone who flew in it had to be a memeber of some group, so when you paid for the flight you got a one year membership is some flying club.

I did find another B-17 that if you contribute $5000 one time, you get to bring yourself and a friend/wife etc. and get a free ride for life when they fly the plane from one city to another. The trick is to pick two cities that give you some flight time. For example if they ferried it from HPN to Long Island the whole flight would be about 20 min. and you would not get higher than 2500 ft before you started your approach.

Comment

About 10 years ago, we were at the Indiana State Fair, Our daughter and I were at the top of the "big slide" at which time, a B-17 and a B-25 were passing overhead. I stopped and was telling my then 8 year old daughter all about the 2 warbirds. The young "punk" on the slide asked us (polietly) to move along. I told him to look up at history and one of the reasons we are a free country.
        My uncle was a waist gunner on a B-25. He survived 3 crash landings, one with a broken leg, the other 2 he walked away from.
        Came home from WWII took "one" last dive into the ocean, hit a rock and broke his neck. He passed away 3 days later.
        I would love to take a ride on a B-17 or a B-25 That would be a "ride" of a lifetime!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

About 10 years ago, we were at the Indiana State Fair, Our daughter and I were at the top of the "big slide" at which time, a B-17 and a B-25 were passing overhead. I stopped and was telling my then 8 year old daughter all about the 2 warbirds. The young "punk" on the slide asked us (polietly) to move along. I told him to look up at history and one of the reasons we are a free country.
          My uncle was a waist gunner on a B-25. He survived 3 crash landings, one with a broken leg, the other 2 he walked away from.
          Came home from WWII took "one" last dive into the ocean, hit a rock and broke his neck. He passed away 3 days later.
          I would love to take a ride on a B-17 or a B-25 That would be a "ride" of a lifetime!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

The 'Sound of Freedom' was so much sweeter back then, wasn't it [?] [?] [?] Jets are for kids...

I dig the old props~ may they fly on forever!!!! [^]

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
            '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The 'Sound of Freedom' was so much sweeter back then, wasn't it [?] [?] [?] Jets are for kids...

I dig the old props~ may they fly on forever!!!! [^]

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
              '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Two weeks ago jeff. I am playing kick ball in the back yard and a B17, B24 and a B25 fly over in formation. I pinched myself. I live real close to the Schenectady county airport. Home of the air guard unit with c130H's that service the southpole and greenland(picture heavy lift on skiis). I know 4 engine planes well. the sound of the radial is all it's own. We have a local pilot with a wwII trainer that you can hear for miles.
                I took my stude down to see the planes on the ground. I got a big grin out of the ground crews.
                Oh the sound of the big radial. Wonder what it was like to be on the ground and hear lots of them them comming...to bomb you. Truly scary.Rich

64 Daytona HT
                64 GT R1 Hawk(pkg)
                Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
                64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

Two weeks ago jeff. I am playing kick ball in the back yard and a B17, B24 and a B25 fly over in formation. I pinched myself. I live real close to the Schenectady county airport. Home of the air guard unit with c130H's that service the southpole and greenland(picture heavy lift on skiis). I know 4 engine planes well. the sound of the radial is all it's own. We have a local pilot with a wwII trainer that you can hear for miles.
                  I took my stude down to see the planes on the ground. I got a big grin out of the ground crews.
                  Oh the sound of the big radial. Wonder what it was like to be on the ground and hear lots of them them comming...to bomb you. Truly scary.Rich

64 Daytona HT
                  64 GT R1 Hawk(pkg)
                  64 GT R1 4sp Hawk

Comment

I had the thrill of taking a ride in the one I think is down by Stude Bob. Listen to those engines! (Two of 'em built by Studebaker)
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

I had the thrill of taking a ride in the one I think is down by Stude Bob. Listen to those engines! (Two of 'em built by Studebaker)
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

I also love the sound of a DC-3. It is amazing how you can hear one coming and know exactly what it is. As a kid I used to ride my bike to the Charlottesville airport when prop planes were still coming in and just sit at the gate and view the activity. Back then they had no ramps (just the wheeled stairs) and there was just a 3 foot high chain link fence with a gate separating me from the tarmac. I suspect today I could not even ride a bike onto the grounds.

Comment

I also love the sound of a DC-3. It is amazing how you can hear one coming and know exactly what it is. As a kid I used to ride my bike to the Charlottesville airport when prop planes were still coming in and just sit at the gate and view the activity. Back then they had no ramps (just the wheeled stairs) and there was just a 3 foot high chain link fence with a gate separating me from the tarmac. I suspect today I could not even ride a bike onto the grounds.

Comment

Great video, Tom!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Great video, Tom!

Comment

Here's a neat link with WWII beauties and even a B-17[]

Cool photos and descriptions by a professional aviation photographer of the aircraft flying at the Yankee Air Museum Thunder Over Michigan airshow.

Miscreant adrift in
                                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                                1960 Larkvertible V8
                                1958 Provincial wagon
                                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X