Cruisin' The Bruise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruisin' The Bruise!

Well my '65 Commander "The Bruise"/"Elsie" is now a genuine cruise night attendee...sorta. I had heard this past Sunday that the weekly Peggy Sue's Cruise on Hamilton mountain was not starting for another two weeks, but it was so gorgeous Sunday afternoon I simply had to head out there anyway in case anyone showed up. A handful of stalwarts did, and half a dozen or so cars and owners parked and chatted for an hour or so on a magnificent sunny evening. The '65 is running well again after a spell of recurrent stalling. Earlier in the day I had had Betty the '62 Lark out to the brunch following the SDC meeting in Mt.Hope, thence to a collectibles show out in Woodstock; the Lark started shimmying badly afterward, and is now slated for an (overdue) alignment and two, maybe four, new tires. The shimmying actually jarred the bottom of the right front fender loose! Got to fix that too. Meantime, the '65 seems to be ready, willing and able. I intend to get to another cruise--one that actually is slated to be running!--tomorrow in Burlington, as I'm off work for the day. Wish me and Elsie luck! Here's a couple shots of Elsie at the "Peggy Sue's Not Quite A Cruise" Sunday evening...

This car is even dowdier-looking than my '62...but what a nice driver she is. The steering column doesn't even make that slight grating sound anymore...smooth as butter. Almost as pleasant as the Porters' creampuff '58. "Elsie" ain't pretty, but, as they say, she has a very nice personality!

S.

She has inner beauty. My 56 wagon is like that.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Wednesday evenings 5 pm til dark at the Barrie waterfront...if you get ambitious come on out, Steve.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Dave--

Probably a mite far on a weeknight, unless I ever find a way to retire...! I've been out that way in a Stude before though, and in fact my '62 came from Everett, just west of Alliston, not too far from Barrie. Went through that way on my "Sentimental Journey" to Campbellford where the '62 was sold new, in May 2010.

Took the '65 to the Windjammer Grill cruise tonight; their parking lot is taken up with temporary rental parking from two apartment blocks whose own parking structures are under renovation, so there were only about two dozen cars present, but three of them were Studes and two of those were Dictators! I'll post a couple pix soon. Windjammer has karaoke Wednesday nights and I capped a fun evening by singing "The Dance" live (pretty Tony Arata ballad made popular by Garth Brooks).

S.

Comment

Pix from this evening in Burlington...

Chevybakers old and really old meet up to convoy to Windjammer. (My '65 had a Chevy 194 six in it from new; Steve Porter's '31 Dictator has a Chevy 250 six out of a van in it now!)

Neat convoy "grab shot" at a stoplight en route...

The other Dictator that turned out, ASC member Frank Mitchell's beautiful all-stock '37. A photo shoot with the two Burlington-based Dictators in a local park is now on the cards.

The Chevy Six-engined duo over in front of the Windjammer after the cruise ended. The grill has a specially-priced cruiser menu on Wednesdays...plus karaoke. Quite an agreeable way to spend Wednesday night!

Cheers all

S.

Comment

Guy with an Olds 442 parked a couple of cars down from me at the Barrie meet last night. Didn't suspect he was a Stude guy, until he came over and started to inspect my 55. He said he had a 53 coupe and dropped a 292 Hemi in it. Loved that car, he said. Ya just never know who's out there.
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
            X