No announcement yet.

A Stude V8 story I have not heard before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of hanging out with my friends at car shows when I lived in CA and listening to the experts telling their friends all about this and that. One comment stands out in my mind about my friend Ernie's car. Did you know that this is where Chevrolet got the idea for the El Camino and Ford got the idea for the Ranchero?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-01-F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1689037

Comment

One other guy that we hung out with drove this 50 Chevy Fleetline half breed .....

Click image for larger version

Name:	P-02-F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1689039

..... and it too would get a lot of comments.

I remember when they made these, I had one almost like this, etc.

Comment

Best one I ever heard was the man who told me He took his mustering out pay from the Navy and bought a Brand New 55 Speedster Roadster with a supercharged Packard v12 in it. I just told him."You should'a kept it. Would be worth a fortune now."
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
          Ok, not sure how to handle this one but this part is true. When Bob Palma and I talked to the former Studebaker chief engine engineer, he told us that IH had expressed interest in all the tooling for the v8 to use the Stude V8 with their trucks. Any comment Bob?
          Right, Nels: Harold R. Johnson Jr. IIRC, he didn't have much more to say than that. Also if you remember, Nels, we were really stretching what memory he had left at that time, so I doubt he could have provided many details even if he wanted to.

As to your GTO/Delorean remark elsewhere, Nels: I assure you you'll get a kick out of my "in the beginning" Whistler report I put together for the end of the July Co-Operator. We're going to "run" my correspondence from back in the day when I wrote Ray Tanner about The Whistler, to augment the report in the May Turning Wheels. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X