Avanti Production Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Production Question

I decided to post a question that won't be deemed controversial, like my last question that was deleted.

How many model years were Avantis, both as models and as brands, produced?

EDIT: I know the answer. I just wanted to post this as a t----- question without using the T word, even though I see many "silly" T type questions being asked on an almost daily basis on this Forum.
    Last edited by studegary; 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

1963-'64...2 years
    1965-'85 as a brand...21 years
    1987-'91 as a brand w/several models...5 years
    2001-2007 as a brand (including 2007 models)...7 years

As you asked for ...model years...not actual production years.

Total...35 years
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

"Gunslinger" - Again you come through with the correct answer to an Avanti T----- question.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I always thought that there were no dumb or silly questions. Not everyone can be a know it all...get the hint.

Comment

Originally posted by LStratton View Post
          I always thought that there were no dumb or silly questions. Not everyone can be a know it all...get the hint.
          I didn't say dumb, but I did say silly. I was referring to the almost daily questions on this Forum that have nothing to do with Studebakers and very little to do with cars. Today's example: "What's one thing you just can't have one of?"
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I didn't say dumb, but I did say silly. I was referring to the almost daily questions on this Forum that have nothing to do with Studebakers and very little to do with cars. Today's example: "What's one thing you just can't have one of?"

Which is why there's the "Stove Huggers" section for non Studebaker topics. Geez.

Comment

Here is a Studebaker question related to this topic. Were there more Studebaker Avantis or post Studebaker Avantis produced? I don't know the answer but I bet some of you do.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

There were more Studebaker Avantis built than post-Studebaker...4643 (plus a few prototypes) Studes against 3544 post-Stude according to John Hull's book. Studebaker attempted to mass produce that Avanti which they found couldn't be done considering all the circumstances. Nate Altman and later owners recognized that and didn't try to replicate Studebaker's mistakes.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

So if there were a total of 4,643 Avantis built by Studebaker. How many 1963 models and how many 1964 models?

regards,
                  Jay

Comment

I believe the generally accepted figure is 809 1964 models and the balance being 1963 cars. That doesn't take into account the unsold 1963 model Avantis that were titled as '64 cars per a Studebaker factory memo to dealers. The number of Avantis titled that way will probably never be known...running into cars titled that way is not uncommon.

i guess it depends on how one defines what makes '63 and '64 car.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      I guess it depends on how one defines what makes '63 and '64 car.
                      To me, the clue is the paint code on the production order. 1963 model years will have a 'P63...' prefix, and '64's have a 'P64...' prefix on them.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X