Key Code 4456 for 1959 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Code 4456 for 1959 Silver Hawk

I got the production report for my 1959 Silver Hawk from the Studebaker Museum, and purchased the appropriate key blanks for door and ignition, but I am unable to find a locksmith who can decipher the key code on the production report. Can anyone guide me to a locksmith who can make me keys that correspond to the Studebaker 4456 key code. Thanks.

So you do not have any Keys that you could duplicate?
    If not, often a long time in Business Real Locksmith can not be found locally, maybe a Web Search could find one who has the Old decoding charts for Studebaker.

The more expensive method is to have one of the Door or the Ignition Lock "Keyed" and the Trunk or Glovebox lock.
    If your Hawk is a V8, it should have the narrow shank Hurd Locks & Keys. If a 6 cyl. it should have the more common Yale Locks & Keys.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the reply. My car has a V8, but it left the factory with a 6. I have found the appropriate Yale key blanks, but none of the local locksmiths can decode the production order.

Comment

Any suggestions on locksmiths who might make me a key?

Comment

A couple of years ago I talked to the owner of this shop about making keys for my 52 from the PO codes and he said he still had the books and could do it. Might be worth a phone call. I haven't been back to AZ to take him up on the task.

American Key & Safe
          6055 E Southern Ave #103, Mesa, AZ ?
          (480) 668-7233

Comment

• 1495 N Maple Ave
              Fresno, CA 93703
            • Get Directions
            • Phone number (559) 251-8621 Mention Studebaker This guy is Fantastic tell him Anne sent ya. Has this hand held thing that is amazing. Only one who could make keys that work in my 1949 Champion. 6 others tried and failed. You might be able to mail him the keys or he might have them.
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Are you sure it still has the original ignition and locks???? Mine did not.

Comment

Anne, you have to have the "Proper Studebaker code books" in order for the Locksmith to input the "Correct Pin Cut Depth" for the proper cutting of Studebaker keys and Proper Studebaker key blanks. Example, #2 cut equates to .025" cut,# 3 cut equates to .050" cut ,# 4 equates to .075' cut. You have to have the factory codes, and the proper key code cutting machine (for codes). My suggestion is, use good info from other forum members on established Locksmiths that have done Satisfactory Bussiness with already. Most Locksmiths are "Bonded and Liscenced" so you can contact and mail in to them your job, and will mail back to you. Yes I am a Bonded and Liscensed Locksmith, but no I don't have the factory code books needed, unless someone would like to sell them. PM me. Hopefully All will work out for you. Good Luck,and if you find a good Locksmith to do it,let us know. Mike..

Comment

Hi Anne and Mike, Thanks for the information. I have called the number that you provided, Anne, and I am awaiting a return call. Mike, I found the following information pertaining to cutting the Ilco X1199AR blanks for a Studebaker: Spacing: 150-290-430-570-710.
                  Depths: 1)222 2)204 3)186 4)168 5)150. I hope these values plus the key code from the production order will net me some keys.

Comment

G, these will definitely help..

Comment

No Luck at Ace Lock and Key in Fresno.

Comment

Have you priced just getting the locks Keyed? Any real Locksmith can do that, no need to even search, I would at least get the price, tell them it is a 1959 Studebaker with Yale Locks.

You do want to make sure that all THREE of your Doors and Ign. locks ARE keyed the same now, or keying one may not work.

At least TRY the New correct Blanks in the Locks, they may not even be the same Brand or Year, and the blank will not enter the lock.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

G, like ,StudeRich said,try the new blanks to see if they have the correct "side milling" to enter lock all the way untill key hits the "Bow", if not , look inside lock with stong light to see if there is all or partial blockage of key core. If they dont then they are the wrong ones, need to get other that fit the blanks.. Mike..

Comment

I have the correct blanks - they fit into the locks fine, but I can't find anyone to cut them using the production order key code.

Comment

Originally posted by hawk58man View Post
                              G, like ,StudeRich said,try the new blanks to see if they have the correct "side milling" to enter lock all the way untill key hits the "Bow", if not , look inside lock with stong light to see if there is all or partial blockage of key core. If they dont then they are the wrong ones, need to get other that fit the blanks.. Mike..
                              Sure, once it has been determined which length Tumblers are in which of the 5 Cylinders, a matching Key can be cut on your blanks, no problem.
                              Using the Factory Key codes is rarely done on older Cars, because very few brand X owners ever have the opportunity like you did of getting the codes.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X