1953 - 54 Gangstercap or sun visor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 - 54 Gangstercap or sun visor.

After seeing a close - up photo in John Bridges' book Studebaker's Finest I have started thinking that maybe a gangstercap, or a sort of sun visor would look neat on a 1953 "hot rod" project that I have bought and will get shipped home to my Norweagian home from the USA.

Does anybody have any "experiences" with gangstercaps or something similare on these Studes?
    Where would I perhaps be able to get one( in the USA or Europe )?

Thanks!

Stay young - Live life with ROCK'N ROOOOOOLL!!!
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

I've never heard of a visor being referred to as a "Gangstercap", but I still learn a thing or two on occassion. Further, I can't imagine such a visor doing anything complimentary to the lines of a 53 of any style. Either way, it's not gonna be easy to find such a piece for a 53 Coupe or Hardtop. You don't mention what model you've acquired, so I'm only guessing here.
    That said, SASCO has all the pieces to put the mini-visors they offered on their sedan models. These actually replace the upper and side reveal mouldings of the front windshield. There's different pieces for the early, flat-windshield sedans/wagons and the later, Ultra-Vista windshield variants. Be advised tho that these won't work on Coupes or Hardtops. Such wasn't available on the C-K cars.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've never heard of a visor being referred to as a "Gangstercap", but I still learn a thing or two on occassion. Further, I can't imagine such a visor doing anything complimentary to the lines of a 53 of any style. Either way, it's not gonna be easy to find such a piece for a 53 Coupe or Hardtop. You don't mention what model you've acquired, so I'm only guessing here.
      That said, SASCO has all the pieces to put the mini-visors they offered on their sedan models. These actually replace the upper and side reveal mouldings of the front windshield. There's different pieces for the early, flat-windshield sedans/wagons and the later, Ultra-Vista windshield variants. Be advised tho that these won't work on Coupes or Hardtops. Such wasn't available on the C-K cars.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Shouldn't that be 'gangsta'cap? Sounds like something the boys in the hood came up with. I agree that a C or K body car would not be improved by such an accessory, but it's your car your choice!

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
        since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Shouldn't that be 'gangsta'cap? Sounds like something the boys in the hood came up with. I agree that a C or K body car would not be improved by such an accessory, but it's your car your choice!

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
          since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Something like this maybe?

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Something like this maybe?

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Enough said. Can you imagine the wind noise from that thing. Just because the paint matches, doesn't mean it fits.

Comment

Enough said. Can you imagine the wind noise from that thing. Just because the paint matches, doesn't mean it fits.

Comment

As far as I know, that visor is original to that car. (Maybe a dealer option?) The owner was telling me about another '53 Starliner he seen with the same visor at a show somewhere.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

As far as I know, that visor is original to that car. (Maybe a dealer option?) The owner was telling me about another '53 Starliner he seen with the same visor at a show somewhere.

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

From the '54 Accessory brochure:

I think I'll skip this beautiful accessory.

John

Comment

From the '54 Accessory brochure:

I think I'll skip this beautiful accessory.

John

Comment

For sure! Bob Bourke's a-swirling in his grave!!![8][8][8][8]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

For sure! Bob Bourke's a-swirling in his grave!!![8][8][8][8]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X