Time to downsize the fleet and parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to downsize the fleet and parts

When I completed my building (2400 sq ft), I was walking through it and said to myself, "I will never fill this up". Boy was I wrong. I am now bursting at the seams. I have finally convinced myself that I need to sell off a bunch of cars and parts so that I can move around, regroup and work on one or two projects at a time. My question to the forum....what is the best way to sell the parts? I was thinking ebay, but the nos fenders (30), hoods(3), fin overlays(25), trunk lids(3) and doors(6) are a pain to package up. So I was thinking, maybe the zone meet this fall in Wisconsin or possibly list them on the forum and sell them as "pickup only". Just looking for your input on what has worked best for you. Thanks for your input and suggestions. The cars listed below will be going on ebay. Thanks again.

58 Packard Wagon (solid parade red with red and gray interior)
    62 Lark Daytona (white with black and white interior)
    62 Lark sedan w/skytop option (silver with red interior)
    63 Lark sedan (white with blue interior)
    Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM.

Maybe there is a trip to South Bend in May in your future?
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

My inlaws live about an hour from you, near Buffalo MN, so it wouldn't too hard for me to find someone willing to pich things up. That 63 Lark (if running) strikes my fancy, and I could use some front fenders for my 63 if you've got em, plus some other odds and ends. (Got a nice condition '63 dash? I'm REALLY interested!!) If you've got some prices in mind, shoot me a PM.
      '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Hi Joe, Bill with the 57 Packard wagon here.
        Still interested in a left rear overlay 1323057 and any useable interior parts.
        Door panels, seat coverings, etc.
        Thanks Bill
        Joe, check your PM mailbox.
        Last edited by 57pack; 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Bill - When I was restoring my '57 wagon, I had to go to SB to get the overlays. (long story) The right side was available separately, but I had to buy a complete sedan left quarter panel, remove the overlay, and shorten it since the sedan is longer than the wagon! Of course I didn't do the work, Bob Belling in CT did it. At that time (maybe 2007), Dennis Lampert supposedly had the left side overlays, but we couldn't find them. Have you asked Ed Reynolds if he has any?
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I think you have the right idea of listing them on the forum first saying pick up only, that would take a minimal effort of listing what you have for sale, coming up with prices, and taking a few pictures. After a month or so, since January in Minnesota isn't the hot time to sell cars or parts, I'd list them on ebay. Remember eBay is going to take a 15% cut and you would probably, but not necessarily, have to ship them. If after all that you still have parts remaining, then I would offer them for sale with delivery to one of the swap meets. Or you could do what Bob40 did a few years ago and have a swap meet at your house the same weekend as one of the bigger local events. You could ask Bob what he thought about it, but it seemed like a real good idea to me.

Disclaimer - I'm sour on the swap meetings after dragging a van load of parts to Wisconsin last fall and not even selling a single part. Next years Wisconsin swap should be better since it is also the zone meet, but that is just a guess.

Comment

The best way for larger parts is plan on either a international meet or the South Bend may zone and swap meet, since the larger parts are nos and good all you need to do is put your price on them and advertise in TW for a few months that your are going to one of these meets and will deliver for free if bought and paid for in advance, good items sell fast if priced right. Your are not that far from South Bend and the May meet is a good one and you have time to put the ad in TW remember it takes a month or so for the ad to show up. Also this way you can take a lot of other items and set up and sell more, I think you will be surprised with the out come and have some fun doing so, I have done it all the way from California.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Take them to the May swap in South Bend OR advertise them with delivery to the May swap (adding delivery fee is optional)
                If all parts are sold you get your trip paid for.If not the buyers will be there to inspect and buy.
                The May swap is a great event. If I am healthy by then I expect to make the trip with a few parts.Always had good sales and of course,the people are the best.
                My garage sale was a blast and might do it again.
                I gave up on zone meet swaps years ago. I have done ok at the Studebaker only swap in WI. and plan on supporting it again.
                Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

If you have a lot of parts, especially smalls, and decide to go with ebay, you might want to consider setting up an "ebay store" rather than the individual listings/auction format. Many years ago I sold a few items, mainly license plates, through ebay using the auction format. I have no idea how the ebay store works. I know that Richard Quinn has an ebay store. I imagine others here do, too. Perhaps they can opine as to whether the ebay store is a viable alternative in your situation.

Comment

Joe, FYI, I sent you a PM yesterday.

Comment

A huge rhanks to everyone for their input. I was surpried too that my pm's received went through the roof. I do have 3 sets of 63 Lark front fenders and the 57 Packard overlays. I will have to see how many lefts and rights i have on the overlays. I do know that some are longer than the others. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

I haven't browsed through Studebaker parts on Ebay for a long time, too much garbage to sort through in order to find legitimate Studebaker parts. I would think that this fall's zone meet would be ideal to sell your parts but you would have the hassle of transporting the parts there. If you come up with a price list of your parts, go ahead and send me a copy as I am interested in parts for GT Hawks, Champ pickups and 1963 and later Larks (especially good sheet metal).
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If the '62 and '63 Lark "SEDANS", are 2 Door Sedans, members here would have some interest, especially if we knew that they were Custom Trim 2 Doors.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
                            A huge rhanks to everyone for their input. I was surpried too that my pm's received went through the roof. I do have 3 sets of 63 Lark front fenders and the 57 Packard overlays. I will have to see how many lefts and rights i have on the overlays. I do know that some are longer than the others. Thanks again to everyone.
                            Assuming they are for the '57s, the long ones are sedans and the short ones are wagons.
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

All of the overlays are for 57 Packards. As for Custom trim, I have two sets of doors (both sides) with stainless wrapped around the upper door frame.

Does anyone know the details on the South Bend meet....dates, times, cost for a indoor or outdoor booth, etc. I checked the latest issue of TW and couldn't find anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X