December 9th, Black Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 9th, Black Monday

Fifty years ago today is when our favorite auto maker made the announcement that they would be closing, a day that is forever grim in the minds of every South Bend native. In that time South Bend has been through some tough times, but we seem to be heading in the direction to get back on track with things, it just takes a lot of time. For being an orphan make, I think the SDC is very fortunate, probably lucky, and blessed to have such a huge following so many years after the last car rolled off the assembly line; and what I find most amazing is that we're still growing. The past (in 1963) was grim, but the future looks bright, and I'm proud to be part of this club. But for this moment, we should never forget what happened 50 years ago today. Lets keep those wheels rollin' for at least another 50 years.
    Chris Dresbach

Well said, Chris! Mourn what was lost, perpetuate what remains!

Comment

I'm in. I was 12 years old when they closed the South Bend plant. My family owned Studebakers but the closing did not get noticed in our household until dad went to buy another new car and came home with with an AMC Javelin. We knew then something bad must have happened. No more NEW Studebakers. It suddenly seemed that a valued member of the family had died.
      But they live on and I feel great knowing there is a big following and I still see them now and again on the road. Everyone in my town has seen my Commander and Champ truck plying the local roads. Every time I stop at a store or the gas station they come up to me to tell me they have seen them around town and are happy to finally meet the owner. I make new friends every day in my Studebakers.
      Another 50 years? You bet!
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I was -10 when South Bend closed. I like cars of all types, and became pretty good at identifying the "everyday" classics. I really don't remember Studebakers at all growing up. I did grow up far from big cities where they may have been more common. I can say that I see many more today than I ever did my whole life. Now, I am a proud Studebaker owner who is younger than Studebaker--at least the non Avanti II.

Comment

Today also marks the opening of my wife's business, "Hamilton Consignments". The Champ doors have been lettered by a sign company & the truck sits proudly in front of her newly renovated shop. It's been a long time in the planning & completion process. Building has been boarded up 7 years.
          What better time to give a nod to Studebaker & its legacy. Will post pics when the fog clears. Hamilton Consignments has a Facebook page in the meanwhile. When in Charleston, stop in & say hey!

Comment

Originally posted by alex54 View Post
            I was -10 when South Bend closed. I like cars of all types, and became pretty good at identifying the "everyday" classics. I really don't remember Studebakers at all growing up. I did grow up far from big cities where they may have been more common. I can say that I see many more today than I ever did my whole life.

Now, I am a proud Studebaker owner who is younger than Studebaker--at least the non Avanti II.
            Every SDC member is younger than Studebaker...since it was founded in 1852!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              Fifty years ago today is when our favorite auto maker made the announcement that they would be closing, a day that is forever grim in the minds of every South Bend native. In that time South Bend has been through some tough times, but we seem to be heading in the direction to get back on track with things, it just takes a lot of time. For being an orphan make, I think the SDC is very fortunate, probably lucky, and blessed to have such a huge following so many years after the last car rolled off the assembly line; and what I find most amazing is that we're still growing. The past (in 1963) was grim, but the future looks bright, and I'm proud to be part of this club. But for this moment, we should never forget what happened 50 years ago today. Lets keep those wheels rollin' for at least another 50 years.
              Chris, I really appreciate your very well thought out dedication to this anniversary. As you can appreciate, this day will be always remembered by me, having had a significant position in the release of this sad news 50 years ago today. I only wish I was able to get to South Bend on December 20th for the commemoration there at the Studebaker National Museum, but my thoughts will be with all of you on that day as well.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
                Today also marks the opening of my wife's business, "Hamilton Consignments". The Champ doors have been lettered by a sign company & the truck sits proudly in front of her newly renovated shop. It's been a long time in the planning & completion process. Building has been boarded up 7 years.
                What better time to give a nod to Studebaker & its legacy. Will post pics when the fog clears. Hamilton Consignments has a Facebook page in the meanwhile. When in Charleston, stop in & say hey!
                Dang it! We were just in Charleston a week ago! Had to stop in and have some good food at High Cotton! We arrived about 7:15 in the evening, and we were gone by 8 am Sunday morning. Next time we're down that way, we'll be sure to look you up.

Jim
                Last edited by 52 Ragtop; 12-09-2013, 05:13 PM.
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Remember Dec 8 1963 very well. Upon hearing
                  of the South Bend Studebaker plant closing,
                  My Dad told me to grab my coat as he was
                  going to Przywara Motors to purchase a new
                  Studebaker. We came home with a 1964 Commander.
                  Now we had a 1955 Champion at that time
                  that became my Mom's car/taxi to take us
                  to school and trips to the A&P.
                  Chris, I'm doing my best to perpetuate the
                  Studebaker / Packard Automobile brand.
                  Restoring my 57 Packard Clipper wagon and
                  getting my Wagonaire back on the road.
                  Last edited by 57pack; 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                    Every SDC member is younger than Studebaker...since it was founded in 1852!
                    Ok, you got me there.

I meant I am younger than the youngest Studebaker....by 10 years.

One of the earliest impressions that I remember is Vintage air's "cool 200" 53. I think it was featured on a hot rod magazine a good while back. That pretty much solidified my goal to own one.

Comment

I was 16. That day I was visiting friends that lived next door to my grandmother. Their father had just bought a new Rambler American 440 hardtop with the Twin Stick trans. They were bad mouthing Studebaker, putting it down saying it was shutting down. I stuck up for our brand noting that all were to be built in Hamilton, a newer factory that was able to make a profit at a much lower scale. Then I pointed out that if they had bought a Studebaker they could have had a "real" floor shift in the 4 speed that was offered!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I was two when Studebaker shut down in South Bend and remember nothing. What is amazing is Studebaker lives through one of the finest owner clubs out there. As long as we are we, Studebaker lives!

Comment

Working...
                        X