Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting a Studebaker with a roller......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a Studebaker with a roller......

Some of you may recall a topic several months ago regarding how to paint your car with a roller or foam brush. The '49 2R17A fire truck that I got from Asa Hall has weathered considerably the last couple of years so I decided to give it a try. Below is how it looked when I started this morning.

I began by trying to grind off the rust bubbles, but found it much faster to attack them with a sharp putty knife. Once all the scale was removed I started with 50 grit sandpaper, progressed to 80 grit and finished it off with 220 grit. I washed it all off, let it dry, masked it and attacked it with a 7" roller and a 2" brush. The brush left streaks, so I used it only to cut in and did all the rest with the roller. Here is how it looks now that I am done.

It went better than I thought, my biggest mistake being that I used a 3/8" nap roller when I should have gone shorter. This resulted in somewhat of a texture, but that may clear up as it dries.

I wanted it "spiffed up" before our tractor show next weekend and in all probability I will sand it down and then do a second coat with a shorter nap. It looks good at 30 feet, but it is not perfect up close. This is due to the previously mentioned texture issue, plus it only has one coat on it.

A gallon of "Safety Red" Rustoleum was only $28.00 at Lowes, but I ended up buying a new sander and respirator. The sander has a built in dust collector which eliminated virtually all the dust.

The only lingering problem is that the roller would not fit in between the cab and body, so I will need to use a foam brush on that. I think I may also attack the '48 M-16 grain truck I got from Asa as that also has surface rust on it and this will better protect it.

She looks 100 percent better and the paint is well protected. Good job.

Ready for a trip to the beach!

Comment

She looks 100 percent better and the paint is well protected. Good job.

Ready for a trip to the beach!

Comment

You'll find you'll get great results if you mix the rustoleum with mineral spirits (get it a milky consistancy) and use one of those 4" white rollers you see at Home Depot. Wet sanding after two coats yields great results. Then again, seeing the size of that truck, you might get it done in about 2 years doing it this way. Looks lots better than in the before photo!
        Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

You'll find you'll get great results if you mix the rustoleum with mineral spirits (get it a milky consistancy) and use one of those 4" white rollers you see at Home Depot. Wet sanding after two coats yields great results. Then again, seeing the size of that truck, you might get it done in about 2 years doing it this way. Looks lots better than in the before photo!
          Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

The surprising thing is that I only went through 1/2 gallon of paint (and went over most areas 2-3 times). It may have been a mistake to lay it on as thick as I did, but I was left with thin spots, especially where I took it down to bare metal. I figured since I was painting it with Rustoleum I did not need a primer. [:0]

I will be interested in seeing how it looks in the morning.

Comment

The surprising thing is that I only went through 1/2 gallon of paint (and went over most areas 2-3 times). It may have been a mistake to lay it on as thick as I did, but I was left with thin spots, especially where I took it down to bare metal. I figured since I was painting it with Rustoleum I did not need a primer. [:0]

I will be interested in seeing how it looks in the morning.

Comment

Not bad, Gary! If you're ever in the area, I'm sure my grandad will let you have another shot at it on his '49 fire truck.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Not bad, Gary! If you're ever in the area, I'm sure my grandad will let you have another shot at it on his '49 fire truck.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Based on my experience with paint, I suspect it will "lay down" to a smoother finish, but I also suspect that you will feel compelled to color sand, and do it again. I further suspect that you will be glad you did!
                    And that coming from a fella who waxes the hood of his 8N tractor. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Based on my experience with paint, I suspect it will "lay down" to a smoother finish, but I also suspect that you will feel compelled to color sand, and do it again. I further suspect that you will be glad you did!
                      And that coming from a fella who waxes the hood of his 8N tractor. [)]

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude
                        I thought you had primed some of the areas, I reckon what I am seeing is original primer.
                        Dave,

The yellow primer was on the bed of the truck when I bought it. I think that some of the paint had scaled previously and Asa had covered it up to protect it. The gray primer up front I shot on the truck with a buzz can after I got it as those spots were down to bare metal where he had ground off the name of the prior fire department that owned it.

Asa (or someone else) had put some putty on the hood and the left front fender (I think the siren was mounted there). I am not happy with how it sanded down and you can see where it was applied. However, the object was to get a cheap coat of protection on it and not to make it a show vehicle.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude
                          I thought you had primed some of the areas, I reckon what I am seeing is original primer.
                          Dave,

The yellow primer was on the bed of the truck when I bought it. I think that some of the paint had scaled previously and Asa had covered it up to protect it. The gray primer up front I shot on the truck with a buzz can after I got it as those spots were down to bare metal where he had ground off the name of the prior fire department that owned it.

Asa (or someone else) had put some putty on the hood and the left front fender (I think the siren was mounted there). I am not happy with how it sanded down and you can see where it was applied. However, the object was to get a cheap coat of protection on it and not to make it a show vehicle.

Gary

Comment

Nice, Gary! []. Big improvement. That one is probably good to go for another 50 years or so. Like Dave says...if you have more time, some additional sanding and more paint will make it even better. Maybe rattle can those silver running boards. (Now I'm getting carried away )

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nice, Gary! []. Big improvement. That one is probably good to go for another 50 years or so. Like Dave says...if you have more time, some additional sanding and more paint will make it even better. Maybe rattle can those silver running boards. (Now I'm getting carried away )

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X