Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants to play decipher the build sheet? (1950 Champion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to play decipher the build sheet? (1950 Champion)

A few things I already get or have figured out through searching the forum:

DESTINATION 4 CHICAGO, ILL - STROMBERG: Stromberg Brothers Studebaker, 1522 Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL

HOW TO SHIP 4 AR: ARCO Auto Carriers of Chicago

ENGINE NO. 597202: This must be a typo, my engine number is 597302.

MODEL AND BODY TYPE 9G-F5: 1950 Champion - Club Sedan, Two-Door Sedan

PAINT NO. AND COLOR P 2264 MIDNIGHT: Midnight Blue, although the car is currently Comanche Red (P 2270)

What I'd like to know:

What color wheels came with Midnight Blue? I saw some discussion of various combinations.

Does "TRIM NO. 7567 EG CL-1" mean anything?

How about the code "BELL"?

How about CLIMATIZER 1873?

RINGS AC- 1401?

Is there a way to tell if my key codes are still the same?

Anything else this is telling me? Thanks folks!
    9G-F5 - '50 Champion two-door sedan

I would be wondering about the "Bell" myself.

Comment

All I know is that it's Telegram shorthand for a car equipped a particular way. But as to what way that was...?

Comment

Bell is Studebaker's telegraphic code for a six passenger 1950 Regal Deluxe Champion 2 door sedan w/o overdrive. The Climatizer is your heater/defroster unit and the 1873 is simply the part number (i.e AC-1873). The AC-1401 are wheel trim rings. Wheel color for the Midnight Blue cars was Concord Blue with Garnet Red stripes or Comanche Red with Tusk Ivory stripes.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The AC 1873 is found in the Body parts catalog on page 4.
          The 9G-F5 designation is also found in the Body parts catalog on page VIII.
          This thread interests me, I have a 9G-W5
          AC-1401---didn't find that one. The chassis parts catalog seems to go from 1402-1409. May I ask where you found 1401, Mr. Wheel. thanks.
          And the final assembly date----two days after Christmas what a present!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Bell is Studebaker's telegraphic code for a six passenger 1950 Regal Deluxe Champion 2 door sedan w/o overdrive. The Climatizer is your heater/defroster unit and the 1873 is simply the part number (i.e AC-1873). The AC-1401 are wheel trim rings. Wheel color for the Midnight Blue cars was Concord Blue with Garnet Red stripes or Comanche Red with Tusk Ivory stripes.
            Great information! Thanks!

Comment

The AC-1401 can be found in the green section of the parts price book with all the other accessories. Also in the accessory information sent to dealers. Below a few items that may interest you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 trim variations.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1684394 Click image for larger version

Name:	50 wps copy porter canada email.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1684395
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Thank you, those are nice to have. Rick

Comment

My 1961 build sheet also refers to ARCO trucking. My car was sold new on the far south side of Chicago. ARCO must have been a major transporter of Studebakes for many years in the Chicago area. My Lark was sold new by Frank Hilker S-P in Chicago Heights. '4 Chicago' may have been the old postal code in Chicago where the car was shipped before they came out with the 'ZIP Code' system in the early '60s. I'm just guessing on that. The Post Office started using the Zone Improvement Project (ZIP) Code in the early '60s. Before that they used a system of CITY/ZONE codes. For example: Chicago 4, Illinois. I don't know where the old 'zone' systems were located. No idea if Chicago 4 was north or south or west side, but, I'd have to guess Chicago 4 was one of the old zone designations where Stromberg Studebaker was located. Purely speculation.

Comment

Chicago Heights is a separate entity (not the south side of Chicago) and quite a way south of Chicago (probably 25 miles) so would not think it would be part of the Chicago postal code system? ZIP codes came into use in mid-1963 but it would be quite a while before people accepted them. I have a lot of correspondence sent to and from Studebaker in South Bend after that date and very few have ZIP codes.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Where was the 6 passenger? I'm finding 5 passenger 2-doors and 4 doors in the champ and comm. From post 4....."Bell is Studebaker's telegraphic code for a six passenger 1950 Regal Deluxe Champion 2 door sedan w/o overdrive".

Comment

I just read this on Wikipedia:

"In the cases of large cities, the last two digits coincided with the older postal zone number..."

Which would seem to point at the modern zip code for Stromberg Brothers being 60604. The only address I'm finding, though, is 1522 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago, IL 60640.

I'm going to say it's probably the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                          Where was the 6 passenger? I'm finding 5 passenger 2-doors and 4 doors in the champ and comm. From post 4....."Bell is Studebaker's telegraphic code for a six passenger 1950 Regal Deluxe Champion 2 door sedan w/o overdrive".
                          Well, the driver and two passengers in the front and three in the back makes six. I guess that is how Studebaker figured it when they sent out the master telegraphic code sheets to dealers in 1950. But really I am not sure if this an important issue?
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

The sedans, two and four door, were six passenger in 1950 and the Starlight was a five passenger coupe.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X