No announcement yet.

2-DOOR HARDTOP VS 2-DOOR SEDAN IN RACING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stuff Gordon mentioned can be used on the Daytona. But for class racing I'll be looking for a Challenger or a Commander. I'd like to get the car down as low as I can on weight. I can use whatever was available for an engine, and between George Krem's PBW and Nelson's R3 Commander, the R3 has already been cleared to race. Unlike the PSMCD, I can play with things that can't be seen. So if I become rich, and can find the heads, intake and carb, I could run a 330 CI R3 engine with modified supercharger. Or I can be a cheapskate (most likely) and build a modifield R2. As there is no minimum weight, getting the car as light as possible is a priority.

Item number one will be an F2/F4 2-door frame. Anyone have a solid one sitting in their backyard that the trash man wouldn't take? Maybe a Dana 44 with a 4.55 & TT?

The main priority is the Daytona. But if I can start finding bits and pieces for the drag car in the mean time, I'll start collecting them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

You can try this guy for a frame!:

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

You can try this guy for a frame!:

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Is this the class, Tom?

Visit Fast Races for the finest automotive information. Click on the link to begin reading the articles.

One idea...I wouldn't use the TT in the 44. It will add to the cost of the rear end and is only about a 50% lock up. Use one of the full locker units that works in an open carrier. Cost won't be much more (if any) than a TT and you'll get 100% lock up. You'll need it with the street tires and all that HP [8D].

Sounds like a great idea...and that class is sorely missing a 10 second Studebaker!

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Is this the class, Tom?

Visit Fast Races for the finest automotive information. Click on the link to begin reading the articles.

One idea...I wouldn't use the TT in the 44. It will add to the cost of the rear end and is only about a 50% lock up. Use one of the full locker units that works in an open carrier. Cost won't be much more (if any) than a TT and you'll get 100% lock up. You'll need it with the street tires and all that HP [8D].

Sounds like a great idea...and that class is sorely missing a 10 second Studebaker!

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Is this the class, Tom?

Yeah, that's the class. To be honest, much as those other cars were starting out, I'd be happy with low 12's. It usually takes a little while to get a car sorted out. I'm sure with R3 stuff a high 10 or low 11 second car is very possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Is this the class, Tom?

Yeah, that's the class. To be honest, much as those other cars were starting out, I'd be happy with low 12's. It usually takes a little while to get a car sorted out. I'm sure with R3 stuff a high 10 or low 11 second car is very possible.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                  I'm sure with R3 stuff a high 10 or low 11 second car is very possible.
                  If you could get down to 2700-2800 pounds, you'd need about 500 HP or so to do this. Certainly possible with the motor you describe (and a lot of boost ). The tough part is getting it to the ground with street tires. That's where you need to clone Ted [^].

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                    I'm sure with R3 stuff a high 10 or low 11 second car is very possible.
                    If you could get down to 2700-2800 pounds, you'd need about 500 HP or so to do this. Certainly possible with the motor you describe (and a lot of boost ). The tough part is getting it to the ground with street tires. That's where you need to clone Ted [^].

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Or make him the hired gun...[)]

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Or make him the hired gun...[)]

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I find the weight question kind of silly with a Studebaker, especially when one talks of racing, and comparable body weights..
                          Think safety first.
                          Which would fold up first in a roll over accident?
                          I'd take the post car over a hardtop any day of the week.
                          Not being contrary, just safety aware.
                          Jeff[8D]
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I find the weight question kind of silly with a Studebaker, especially when one talks of racing, and comparable body weights..
                            Think safety first.
                            Jeff[8D]
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Think safety first.
                              Most tracks will require some type of rollover protection and competition belts once the car gets to sub-12 second times. This class allows this type of safety changes. I wasn't as concerned about the safety aspect from one body style verses another because of that. The hardtop wasn't an issue of looking cool as opposed to a sedan, just an issue of availability. Considering the weight difference, I'd still be looking at the sedan anyways.

My big concern from a safety point of view is the lack of a SFI approved bell housing. I'm hoping to come up with another way of protecting myself from a flywheel/clutch explosion, like a blanket or (and I kid not about this) welding some form of armour plating to the floor in the foot area.

Having road raced in the past, I take the safety issues very seriously. In the end this is all fun and games, and if something goes wrong, I want to walk away from it. Drag race roll bars and reinforncements are a bit different that what SCCA requires, but I won't get in a 120 MPH bullet without feeling safe about doing so.

Items that will be added to meet my requirement of safety;

* Strong cage/roll bar, with other hidden reinforcements to protect the driver.
                              * Five point racing harness
                              * Bell housing protection
                              * Halon fire supression system
                              * Driver accessible ignition cut off
                              * Will look into modifying the fuel tank to look stock, but with the safety of a fuel cell.

Weight is important, but safety will always come first.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Think safety first.
                                Most tracks will require some type of rollover protection and competition belts once the car gets to sub-12 second times. This class allows this type of safety changes. I wasn't as concerned about the safety aspect from one body style verses another because of that. The hardtop wasn't an issue of looking cool as opposed to a sedan, just an issue of availability. Considering the weight difference, I'd still be looking at the sedan anyways.

My big concern from a safety point of view is the lack of a SFI approved bell housing. I'm hoping to come up with another way of protecting myself from a flywheel/clutch explosion, like a blanket or (and I kid not about this) welding some form of armour plating to the floor in the foot area.

Having road raced in the past, I take the safety issues very seriously. In the end this is all fun and games, and if something goes wrong, I want to walk away from it. Drag race roll bars and reinforncements are a bit different that what SCCA requires, but I won't get in a 120 MPH bullet without feeling safe about doing so.

Items that will be added to meet my requirement of safety;

* Strong cage/roll bar, with other hidden reinforcements to protect the driver.
                                * Five point racing harness
                                * Bell housing protection
                                * Halon fire supression system
                                * Driver accessible ignition cut off
                                * Will look into modifying the fuel tank to look stock, but with the safety of a fuel cell.

Weight is important, but safety will always come first.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Working...
                                X