Floor in 53 Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor in 53 Studebaker

Ok So we are sanding the floor in the 53 and getting the rust out and I keep asking myself why did Studebaker put two "pans" in the floor under the drivers side and passengers side seat. Can someone tell me Why? LOL

At a guess, you've got a K model, without the B pillar. The second "floor" is part of a structural member to keep the body from twisting in the absence of the B pillart.

Comment

Heater core location?
      sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        At a guess, you've got a K model, ...
        Also double panel in my C model. I would guess it is just a reinforcing element for the seat anchors.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just more metal to "rust away" <G> Too bad they did not have or use some of the corrosion protection that is available today! There might be a LOT more Studes on the road! But, then again, maybe not.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

Those are Foot pans,and area for heater..

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by two "pans". Do you mean two recesses in the floor...two layers of metal...??
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have never seen a double pannel in a C Coupe. Hog troughs?
                On my 55-3 K they are a little over a foot wide and start at the front of the door and go back almost to where the back leaf springs bolt on. Looked at the 53 Coupe next to it and it has a brace in the front and a brace in the back where the K model ends. I think my K model must be the special built prototype for those Bonneville Golden Hawks with the double floors. Should bring me big bucks at the BJ auction!
                My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                sigpic
                Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Until Tom clarifies his inquiry, we may be attempting to explain different items. I thought his inquiry referred to the reinforcing plates under the floor, through which the seat anchors are held captive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1684134Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1684135
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Until Tom clarifies his inquiry, we may be attempting to explain different items. I thought his inquiry referred to the reinforcing plates under the floor, through which the seat anchors are held captive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28508[/ATTACH]
                    I thought maybe his car came without a heater and the "pan" was the delete plate. That explains the pass. side, but what the driver's side?
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      I thought maybe his car came without a heater and the "pan" was the delete plate. That explains the pass. side, but what the driver's side?
                      I don't remember if my car had the recess for a heater core under the driver's seat or not.

But, I did own a GT that had the auxillary heater core under the driver's seat, so I know they put them there at some point in time.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Sorry for the late response. I think Hawk58 answered it, foot pans. They are behind the heater core. So far we have been lucky only a little surface rust on the floor interior except for the driver and passenger side floors. There are a little more rusty with a few holse but nothing horrible.

Comment

If you are talking about the foot pans for the back seat passengers, I have often wondered why they weren't made larger. There is definitely room between the frame and driveshaft tunnel, as well as fore and aft, to have supplied a measure of comfort to back seat passengers.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                          X