• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• altair
    replied
    engine - tranny

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Just curious as to why you think I should?
    I saw no reason to.
    Maby you are a little more gifted than I am, I have found it much easier to line up the splines with the whole assembly is on the floor rather than in the car. Also you might want to confirm all the seals and replace with greater ease when it is out rather than in the car. With the engine in such questionable condition it may no be a bad idea to look the transmission over. If the engine is going to be replaced the bell housing may not be compatable. If you get another engine and it is complete with a bell housing you will have to pull it anyay. I cant believe that engine will be reattached to that bell housing. Maby you have magical powers, I don"t
    best of luck

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Looks like time to put the Packard 289 on the scrap iron pile.

Look at the good side of it, you did get a sweet Car!
    When I bought Buttercup I knew there was engine problems. The PO said there was almost no oil pressure and when reved there was a lot of hammering in the lower end. He also said he ran it very hot at one time. I'm still very happy with the purchase.
    What surprised me was finding all this broken crap inside and on the engine after firing it off for the first time in 6 years and there was absolutely no smoke from the tail pipes, filler pipe or road draft tube.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Looks like time to put the Packard 289 on the scrap iron pile.

Look at the good side of it, you did get a sweet Car!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by gordr View Post
    Sounds like the entire car will need a careful going over to find and fix other exploits of the engine butcher. Look inside all the brake drums, and in the rear end housing, and transmission.
    That's my plan Gord.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Sounds like the entire car will need a careful going over to find and fix other exploits of the engine butcher. Look inside all the brake drums, and in the rear end housing, and transmission.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I have an extra set of caps.
    They'll fit perfect, if you use a little Bondo during assembly.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Yep St. Louis

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    I'll give you a free 63 289 out of a GT Hawk If you want it. Catch is you have to come and get it.
    What a deal. Are you in Mo. at present? That's not too far.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Somehow, there must be a way to hold Matthew responsible for all this due to an incomplete pre purchase inspection.
    There is a way.
    It's all Matthew's fault.
    Ipso,facto.
    There, it's affirmed.
    Mathew is responsible.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I'll give you a free 63 289 out of a GT Hawk If you want it. Catch is you have to come and get it.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    At least it's not a Z28...

Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp
    Yea...58 Pack 289

Does this make it a Packardbaker?

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    Somehow, there must be a way to hold Matthew responsible for all this due to an incomplete pre purchase inspection.

Jerry didn't give me enough bribe money to inspect the main caps. That one is on him!

I was told that the engine was "worn out". The guy that sold the car to Jerry had probably never even had a spark plug out, he certainly wasn't aware of what was lurking inside.

Jerry, thanks again for buying that car so I didn't have to. <G> Too bad nobody knew all this ahead of time.. George could've set you up with a complete 289 4 speed setup.
    Last edited by mbstude; 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashback View Post
    Well, looks like somebody didn't want to go to the time and trouble to change the auto flpwheel bolts to std. shift. And, as for as the main cap, I have seen this happen when they were put on backwards. Was the chunk in the pan?
    The missing part was nowhere to be found. This is what happens when an air wrenched is used and the main cap isn't seated before both bolts are torqued.

Other things I found wrong: left-rear corner of the block broken so that no bolt could be installed in the lower-left bellhousing hole, bottom-right water manifold bolt broken off even with the block, only one bolt in the water manifold into the right head. No crankshaft bolt lock, crankshaft bolt installed with a heli-coil.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I could be wrong but the nut at the 6 o'clock position looks like a lug nut! The nut at 2 o'clock looks like a regular nut but not the same as the others. Sounds like this engine was rebuilt by a kid that had nothing better to do & couldn't read a manual (or whoever didn't really care).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X