avanti engine numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avanti engine numbers

i was under the impression that all avanti engine numbers before 8/20/63 started with rs 1001 and went up from there, after 8/20/63 there were rs and three numbers. what does rsh 312 designate? thanks for your help.
    gfperry

I believe the 'h' is August..

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
      i was under the impression that all avanti engine numbers before 8/20/63 started with rs 1001 and went up from there, after 8/20/63 there were rs and three numbers. what does rsh 312 designate? thanks for your help.
      AFAIK, both years were either Rxxxx (R1, non-supercharged) or RSxxxx (R2 supercharged). Not sure about the R3 & R4 numbering.
      1996 Impala SS
      1967 Jag XKE FHC
      1963 Avanti R2
      1963 Avanti R1
      1956 Packard Patrician
      1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
      1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Did the engine match any sequence numbers on the body or were they just like other production Studes.

Comment

There was no attempt to match engine numbers with car serial numbers. Whatever engine was needed for a particular car on the assembly line was pulled and installed and the engine number recorded on the production sheet.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Click on this and scroll down to "1964 V8 Engine Numbering". http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
            X