Heater for the 39 CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater for the 39 CE

I am thinking of using an old style heater instead of buying an integrated heating cooling system. I have an old sears under dash unit for cooling. Any comments about using one of the old firewall mounted heaters?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

It's your canvas...paint to suit your artistic tastes. On any humid day you wish to venture out...the integrated units are a blessing for keeping the windows clear. Given the compact nature of that cockpit...accessibility,compact and unobtrusive should also be a very valuable asset.

Accomplishing all the above is something that continues to elude engineers even to this day.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1683778 Click image for larger version

Name:	heater copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1683779
      Original DeLuxe heater for '39 Coupe Express.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hey Richard...great photos (as usual)

I see defroster slits in the dash pic. Do you have details of how the air is ducted to them and the control that deflects the air into them? I suspect it is a simple flap valve adjustable to allow the air to be metered to either the feet, windshield, or both.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]27750[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27751[/ATTACH]
          Original DeLuxe heater for '39 Coupe Express.
          Looks nice. Know of a place I could get one?

Comment

In my '37 I put an Arvin aftermarket heater, because it had 'the round look' that I was after.
            Made up a sheet metal firewall mount that incorporated the defroster outlet(s) and the mount formed an air box that went up high so the defroster hoses would hook up, but not be seen hanging under the dash.
            Having it mounted in the center of the cab firewall free'd up some shin room for the passenger.
            (CE cabs are cozy).
            Put a 12v to 6v voltage drop right in the case (up near the fan) so the blower outlet air cooled the resistor voltage drop unit.
            It's been working for 11 years, so it must be ok, I guess)
            Re-did the water inlet and outlet so they don't poke straight through the firewall.
            Used a pair of 90 dgree end heater hoses to rout the hoses up behind the glove box so the hoses all come out in one place.
            Your project sounds like it is coming along quite well.
            Your bumpers all wrapped up. I keep forgetting to load them in the car when I leave town..
            I'll get 'em up to you soon...
            Jeff
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff! I'll look for Arvin.

Comment

There is no technological understanding coming from me, but I have a question? I recall the Southwind heaters which I think were gas-fired. A friend wanted one for his VW Microbus. If one could be located would it provide any advantages?
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                  There is no technological understanding coming from me, but I have a question? I recall the Southwind heaters which I think were gas-fired. A friend wanted one for his VW Microbus. If one could be located would it provide any advantages?
                  I purchased a Southwind heater years ago to convert it to a hot water heater in my 39 Ford coupe. The Ford is now an Avanti so it's long gone which makes the heater surplus goods. I just went and looked at it and see a couple of draw backs. It appears to vent directly into the passenger compartment and there is no provision for defrosters. It is, however, quite compact for an older heater.

All that said, it's not in super shape but if anyone wants to be the next owner it's yours for shipping. I'll send some shots if necessary.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    I purchased a Southwind heater years ago to convert it to a hot water heater in my 39 Ford coupe. The Ford is now an Avanti so it's long gone which makes the heater surplus goods. I just went and looked at it and see a couple of draw backs. It appears to vent directly into the passenger compartment and there is no provision for defrosters. It is, however, quite compact for an older heater.

All that said, it's not in super shape but if anyone wants to be the next owner it's yours for shipping. I'll send some shots if necessary.Bob

I'm interested. If you want to email its twalgamuth@comcast.net. Thanks!

Comment

Found this heater on eBay.

Check it out. Looks like it might need a little work, but has a Studebaker logo on the front.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I like the looks but it does not look functional to me. Is the large fitting on the bottom right of it a place to hose to the defrost? It looks like in my truck it just had passive circulation to the windshield...is that a correct observation?

Comment

While not Stude specific...
                          I kind of liked the art deco look of this one.....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

RE post #8, Don't know about Southwinds, but based upon my
                            old 1960 Beetle, the advantage was major heat as soon as the gas heater fires.
                            Disadvantages are the risk of carbon monoxide(ALWAYS leave a window opened when an automotive gas heater is running), having to run a separate exhaust pipe for the unit, and hearing a kinda scary "kkruump" sound when the unit fires up!
                            Also FYI, here in St. Louis most Type II's had rusted out the big pipe that carried the stock engine heaterbox heat up to the front. On the sliding door Kombi's with their bigger better heater boxes, replacing the rusted pipe was often enough to keep the customers happy.

Comment

Those old gas fired auto heaters sound like Dr. Kevorkian's idea of the perfect "dream machine."

(You'll have to know who Dr. Kevorkian was to "get it")
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X