Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the classic restored Studebaker Avanti sell for more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    The "...as years go by..." part may come into play, but right now I can buy the vast majority of 1963 Avantis for less than any 2001-2007 Avanti.
    That's true....I should have stated: 'In the future'

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      And they say 'STUDEBAKER' on their tail ends instead of 'FORD or 'CHEVROLET'! ( price a '67 Mustang fastback or a '63 Corvette coupe)
      I think it's not the logo. How many teenagers had thier tongues hanging out for an Avanti as opposed to a 271 HP Mustang or a split-window Corvette?

100:1? 71000:1?

C'mon. In 1963 the Studebaker brand was about as sexy as a Nash.

It's what your grandpa drove.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
        I think it's not the logo. How many teenagers had thier tongues hanging out for an Avanti as opposed to a 271 HP Mustang or a split-window Corvette?

100:1? 71000:1?

C'mon. In 1963 the Studebaker brand was about as sexy as a Nash.

It's what your grandpa drove.
        I knew a lot of younger people that wanted a new Avanti, but ended up buying something else, like a Corvette or Thunderbird, mostly due to the wait for an Avanti.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you put $90,000 or $100,000 into it it may break $70,000.
          John Hull

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I knew a lot of younger people that wanted a new Avanti, but ended up buying something else, like a Corvette or Thunderbird, mostly due to the wait for an Avanti.
            Certainly a factor but even more of an issue is 75%+ of the buying public and probably even more of the buying youngsters had no idea what an Avanti was/or believed Studebakers were driven by old folks if they had ever heard of them at all. Generally you buy at auction what you drove/lusted after in your youth. 6000 or so built and spread over the 48 contiguous states doesn't make for a ton of exposure.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              Certainly a factor but even more of an issue is 75%+ of the buying public and probably even more of the buying youngsters had no idea what an Avanti was/or believed Studebakers were driven by old folks if they had ever heard of them at all. Generally you buy at auction what you drove/lusted after in your youth. 6000 or so built and spread over the 48 contiguous states doesn't make for a ton of exposure.

Bob
              There weren't many made and that was mostly due to early production problems. The Avanti certainly had a lot of media exposure at the time. The first three people that came to mind that were considering an Avanti all had never owned or considered a Studebaker product prior to the Avanti. Studebaker missed out on an opportunity to capture a lot of new Studebaker owners with the Avanti.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Avantict View Post
                If you put $90,000 or $100,000 into it it may break $70,000.
                Just yesterday, I bid more than $27K on a '54 Studebaker that had more than $100K spent on it. I was the high bid with a couple of hours to go. I haven't checked yet today. I guess that that bid would take me out of the CASO category <G>.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                  I called Advanced Auto today and asked if they had front disk brake pads for my 64 Studebaker. There was silence on the other end. I asked the young man if he ever heard of Studebaker before and he said no. He asked if that's a motorcycle, ATV, truck or car.
                  Why would you bother? The only parts place I'd bother asking is NAPA.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                  X