Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the classic restored Studebaker Avanti sell for more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't the classic restored Studebaker Avanti sell for more?

Is $74,800 still the record?

"An early production R2 Avanti, 63R-1004, the fourth production car, was sold for a record $74,800 at the Gooding & Company auction on January 18, 2013 in Scottsdale, Arizona."

www.theavanti.net/r1004.html

Last edited by rgallatin; 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM. Reason: Added image of R1004

Originally posted by rgallatin View Post
    Is $74,800 still the record?

"An early production R2 Avanti, 63R-1004, the fourth production car, was sold for a record $74,800 at the Gooding & Company auction on January 18, 2013 in Scottsdale, Arizona."

www.theavanti.net/r1004.html
    interestingly enough, not far from me sits a 1963 avanti that has been deteriorating for a very long time, R 1, powershift, , if my memory recalls ,I remember the number was under the the first 10 built also.

Comment

That may be a record for a standard type Avanti...R1 or R2. What a genuine R3 might sell for can't really be relevant since they're such a small subset of Avanti production. The same goes for a Bonneville car or other very specially prepped car.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That sounds like a high price for an Avanti so it will probably be a "new" record for awhile. I don't think they will ever bring the money that a pristine Golden Hawk will go for.

Comment

Orphans usually don't match the big 3 in values. 68-69 AMX's are fairly are with 8300 and 4100 made, respectively, max out in my price guide at $31,000 despite having great looks and more than adequate performance. By all accounts, the Avanti should be worth more than it it...fairly small production (as an example, the last year the Corvette had a smaller production run than the 63 Avanti was 1956), an eye catching style and decent performance. But, it doesn't have a race heritage (like the late 60s Mustangs and Camaros in Trans Am racing) or easily available very high performance variants. Plus, the knowledge that it was based on a 53 chassis and the Studebaker name were hardly selling points for young people. add to that the timing..it was a bit ahead of its time in both styling and the fact it was a "pony" or "Muscle" car before those eras.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The answer to that then, may as simple as: "it's a Studebaker!"

But then you do have to wonder though, the Avanti II being a way better hand built Car with many Modern updates, a lot Newer and a common Engine, and sold for a TON more money, why is it worth WAY less?
            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-16-2013, 11:45 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

But then you do have to wonder though, the Avanti II being a way better hand built Car with many Modern updates, a lot Newer and a common Engine, and sold for a TON more money, why is it worth WAY less?
              Again lack of heritage...and lack of a performance tradition. The idea of a "banker's hot rod" was never explored by the Avanti Motor Company. Plymouth had luxury GTXs, Olds had Cutlass SXs (two year only notchback Cutlass Supremes with 455 engines) and the better known Hurst Olds, and by 69 the Shelby Mustang had luxury trim. Simply put, performance helps sell collector cars...as does a history for the firm. Heck, a lot of people see the IIs as little more than kit cars. Also, they reflect their times, there were move IIs built in the 70s Disco era with shag carpet and fancy radios, then were built in the mid-late 69s when IIs were a bit more performance oriented...i.e. equipped with the Corvette 327 rather than a run of the mill 350. And the idea that a very small company making high priced cars out of left over parts from a company no longer around is not likely to get many people's heart racing.
              Last edited by JBOYLE; 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I believe that after all these years the vast majority of existing Avantis are either in need of restoration or have already been restored...I doubt if there's too many in the middle. So original build quality means little. Given that, most collectors would go for the original incarnation. The idea of '70s cars of whatever make as gas hogs, terrible performance and quality control may have something to do with it. There were a pretty fair amount of hideous color/interior combinations put out by Avanti Motors during the disco era...but they were ordered by someone...maybe wearing leisure suits.

Nate Altman knew what he wanted and serviced the market as he saw fit. He also had to meet more and more gov't regulations and that probably took more and more time and capital that could otherwise have been used more profitably in enhancing the product.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

The answer to that then, may as simple as: "it's a Studebaker!"

Gee Rich,...Do You think this Avanti would have brought more money if they 'blacked out' the air intake??????????? (Sorry!...but I really couldn't resist!!)

Comment

JBOYLE- I LOVE that shag in my '81! Yes it reminds me (& others ) of another time. I guess you either love it or hate it. At least it's in great shape for original carpet. BTW-it's for sale!
                    Rob in PA

Comment

All else being equal, as the years go by the original Studebaker item will always be worth more than the post '64's...including the convertibles. And as much as I like the looks of the '64 'square light' Studebaker Avanti,...with all of it's updates, (including the grill!), the original '63 Studebaker Avanti will be more sought after, and ultimitely more valuable. (Not including the factory R3's, or the Egbert car of course)

Comment

"Why doesn't the classic restored Studebaker Avanti sell for more?"

Because there are no popular songs about them, they were never the featured car in a popular television show and they were never raced through the streets of San Francisco in a very popular movie! If someone were to make a feature film about the Avanti and if it became a successful film, it would send the value to the moon (like the movie 'Tucker' did for the Tucker automobile).
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          "Why doesn't the classic restored Studebaker Avanti sell for more?"

Because there are no popular songs about them, they were never the featured car in a popular television show and they were never raced through the streets of San Francisco in a very popular movie!.
                          And they say 'STUDEBAKER' on their tail ends instead of 'FORD or 'CHEVROLET'! ( price a '67 Mustang fastback or a '63 Corvette coupe)

Comment

I called Advanced Auto today and asked if they had front disk brake pads for my 64 Studebaker. There was silence on the other end. I asked the young man if he ever heard of Studebaker before and he said no. He asked if that's a motorcycle, ATV, truck or car.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              All else being equal, as the years go by the original Studebaker item will always be worth more than the post '64's...including the convertibles. And as much as I like the looks of the '64 'square light' Studebaker Avanti,...with all of it's updates, (including the grill!), the original '63 Studebaker Avanti will be more sought after, and ultimitely more valuable. (Not including the factory R3's, or the Egbert car of course)
                              The "...as years go by..." part may come into play, but right now I can buy the vast majority of 1963 Avantis for less than any 2001-2007 Avanti.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X