Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagonaires are Fun (Offer Repeated; see Post #62)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bob,
    Great advert! Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Looks like my Wagonaire in the other parking spot! If you ever take your clipping out, I'd like to have a copy for my Wagonaire.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
      Hi Bob,
      Great advert! Thank you for sharing this with us!
      Looks like my Wagonaire in the other parking spot! If you ever take your clipping out, I'd like to have a copy for my Wagonaire.
      "No problem," Bill.

As you can see, the newspaper advertisement is simply too large to run through or across a "normal" photocopy machine. If you are willing to pay the cost of having it professionally copied at the local print shop, where they could handle something that large without reducing its size, I'd be glad to have a copy made and send it to you. With a tube for mailing, postage, and the actual copy cost, though, it might be as much as $10.

Let me know if you'd like one and I'll pursue it. (The black plastic edges around the "frame" snap off. There is no glue holding the advertisement in place, so it is easy to temporarily remove from the framework in which I am displaying it.)
      BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Isn't it something that it took another manufacturer over 40 years to have a step on the tailgate! I think nobody offered one until Ford did around 2006. correct me if I'm wrong, please! I know Studebaker was really pinching pennies at that time but that step should have been standard equipment to further distance the competition.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          "No problem," Bill.

As you can see, the newspaper advertisement is simply too large to run through or across a "normal" photocopy machine. If you are willing to pay the cost of having it professionally copied at the local print shop, where they could handle something that large without reducing its size, I'd be glad to have a copy made and send it to you. With a tube for mailing, postage, and the actual copy cost, though, it might be as much as $10.

Let me know if you'd like one and I'll pursue it. (The black plastic edges around the "frame" snap off. There is no glue holding the advertisement in place, so it is easy to temporarily remove from the framework in which I am displaying it.)
          BP

Thank you Bob,
          Let's do it! PM me your address and cost, I'll get the money out to you. And thanks again!
          Hope there's no Studebaker copyright issues!
          Thanks, Bill
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Great line up, Bob!

A unique and beautiful collection for sure (and I know it's only a portion of your stable).
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Though I haven't carried anything oversize recently, I have used my '64 Daytona Wagonaire to carry live Christmas trees, a refrigerator, a dishwasher and more. Probably the best (or worst depending on your point of view) unusual load was when I was making the kids a playground and we decided that we needed playground mulch. I went to a local nursery and told them what I needed then opened the roof, ran up the back glass and put down the back seat. I then had the guy fill the back of the car by dumping the mulch through the open roof with his tractor loader.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thank you Bob,
                Let's do it! PM me your address and cost, I'll get the money out to you. And thanks again!
                Thanks, Bill
                I'll take the "bare" ad up to the print shop Monday morning and investigate the cost, Bill, and get back to you.

If the copies aren't too much by themselves, I may just have some made so I don't have to expose my original to light, in that it really has been in a large box for 50 years, folded once, unexposed to even indoor lighting.

Then I could ask for a check before I bought a mailing tube and postage and all.

Stay tuned. (If this looks promising, I might have several printed up as I did with the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Lark Pace Car mailer last year. I see we have several Wagonaire enthusiasts on the forum.). BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Would it show up in the newspaper's archives? Local library/college/university have a bound/microfilm/micro-phish copy?

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    Would it show up in the newspaper's archives? Local library/college/university have a bound/microfilm/micro-phish copy?
                    True, Pat; that's another idea. I'm reasonably sure it was the evening Indianapolis News, although the morning competition, The Indianapolis Star, was owned and printed by the same company. They are still printing The Star even though The News died decades ago.

But I'm unsure of the date, so you'd have to go through maybe 3+ months of newspapers (early Sept through mid-Dec) to see if you could find it. BP

Comment

Thank you Bob,
                      Thanks, Bill

Well, Good News and Bad News, Bill, so it's up to you if you want one. Good that it's not as expensive as I thought; bad that the biggest photocopier in town can't quite handle it at 100% size.

The print shop's photocopier couldn't quite handle the entire piece, so I had them make a couple as best they could. Here's what they could do for less than $15 a copy(!):

Note that we "lost" some of the edge and several of the Indianapolis-area dealers at the bottom. Losing the dealers might not be that big a deal to you since you don't live in the area; you could just cut off the remaining ones and no one would know the difference.

For comparison, here's the original:

I went ahead and had two copies made as they cost me only $2 each. They are roughly the same size as the original, just trimmed at the edge. The copier's lens couldn't quite capture the entire original image or I would have had the copies reduced maybe 5% and all the copy would have fit, just a little smaller. But that wasn't possible, so the actual dimensions of the copies are 16 3/4" X 11 1/2," fairly large.

I did have the copies made in "color" so it looks old and yellowed; "old-timey," as is now the original, since it is 50 years old! Also, I had the prints made on their highest-quality print stock, which is heavy, glossy paper, almost card stock.

I checked at the post office and a mailing tube and first-class postage to your place would be a little under $6, so if you want me to roll up one of these (no folds) and send it to you for $8 postpaid, I'll send one out.

So if you'd like one, send me $8 cash or check to:

Bob Palma
                      309 S. Jefferson St.
                      Brownsburg IN 46112-1308

and I'll box it up in a new tube and send it First-Class ASAP. "No problem" if you don't; I understand.

BTW: I'll be leaving to trailer Ted Harbit's Stude Tomato to The 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race Thursday morning before the mail arrives and won't be back until late Saturday. So if your payment arrives during that time, it will be next Monday before I can get it sent out. BP

Comment

When I had my '66 Wagonaire, the older ladies just went crazy for it wherever I drove. I usually had the rear window down and the roof open for a little "flow-thru" ventilation, even if the factory air worked just fine. They would wave at me while I cruised past, and tell me how cute it was when I was parked at a car shows, the grocery store, or the gas station.

At a car show, I let little kids get up in the back so they could look around. That was always fun.

One guy asked me about my customized Chevy II wagon once.... that was weird.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                          When I had my '66 Wagonaire, the older ladies just went crazy for it wherever I drove. I usually had the rear window down and the roof open for a little "flow-thru" ventilation, even if the factory air worked just fine. They would wave at me while I cruised past, and tell me how cute it was when I was parked at a car shows, the grocery store, or the gas station.

At a car show, I let little kids get up in the back so they could look around. That was always fun.

One guy asked me about my customized Chevy II wagon once.... that was weird.
                          You can get that feeling back again....your once wagonaire is now up for sale ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Studeba...95207e&vxp=mtr
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

You can get that feeling back again....your once wagonaire is now up for sale !
                            It's been spiffed up a bit. Matt did a good job, but then again - he always does.
                            I must say I prefer the look of the original dogdish caps on it, rather than the big covers.

Didn't you desire this back in the day, Bob?
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yes I did , but that was 2 Studebakers ago and the price was much different.
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It is probably a good thing that I don't have one of these wagons. With my love for building dioramas ... that lovely wagon could make the ultimate rolling "display case!" Just think of building a plywood display at window height. You could have several dioramas depicting different periods of Studebaker plant buildings and production years. From the horse drawn era, to the golden age of the thirties, right down to a scale model of the steam locomotive that used to ply the factory grounds. Add to that, a scale model of the proving grounds and the Studebaker tree sign....and you could have one heck of a display.

There you go...this winter's project!
                                John Clary
                                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                                X