Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia question: What was phone # at Studebaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh - the 289 exchange. I wonder if that's a number for a Ford concern. Might be prophetic given Ford's current woes!

I'm thinkin' that proof of this might have been echoed at the PSMCD - after Ted's red screamer blew off yet one more contender:

"Curses! Done in by a scrawny 289!!!" [xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Heh - the 289 exchange. I wonder if that's a number for a Ford concern. Might be prophetic given Ford's current woes!

I'm thinkin' that proof of this might have been echoed at the PSMCD - after Ted's red screamer blew off yet one more contender:

"Curses! Done in by a scrawny 289!!!" [xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary, I find it very interesting how phone calls were NOT incouraged!
        The parts books all say to wire to the Studebaker Packard registered cable address: "Studepack, South Bend." and the Parts depots are listed by address - NO PHONE #'s! I really never thought about that! I used to pick-up parts at the Los Angeles Depot for Frank H. Afton Co. Studebaker Packard Mercedes in Inglewood, CA in their '60 Champ "245" big "6" 1/2 ton 8ft. bed pickup. And I bought parts in South Bend at the Plant 8 International Parts Depot(Warehouse) in 1965, but never called them. Glad you brought this up.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

For a little fun project I am working on, I'm trying to find what the phone number was at the Studebaker factory in the 1940s or early '50s when everyone had an exchange name and only 4-5 digits, like TUxedo 5-5555. I looked through all my parts catalogs, shop manuals, service bulletins and NONE of them show a phone number anywhere. I'd like the number for the service department, but I'll take anything that really was a Stude phone number.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The parts books all say to wire to the Studebaker Packard registered cable address: "Studepack, South Bend." and the Parts depots are listed by address - NO PHONE #'s! I really never thought about that! I used to pick-up parts at the Los Angeles Depot for Frank H. Afton Co. Studebaker Packard Mercedes in Inglewood, CA in their '60 Champ "245" big "6" 1/2 ton 8ft. bed pickup. And I bought parts in South Bend at the Plant 8 International Parts Depot(Warehouse) in 1965, but never called them. Glad you brought this up.

quote:Originally posted by garyash

For a little fun project I am working on, I'm trying to find what the phone number was at the Studebaker factory in the 1940s or early '50s when everyone had an exchange name and only 4-5 digits, like TUxedo 5-5555. I looked through all my parts catalogs, shop manuals, service bulletins and NONE of them show a phone number anywhere. I'd like the number for the service department, but I'll take anything that really was a Stude phone number.
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, exactly WHERE was that parts depot? Any idea what resides there now?

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

From my old Studebaker papers I've gleaned that there was at least telephone service at the plant by 1912. It's funny that 50 years later they still want people to wire them!
                "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

From my old Studebaker papers I've gleaned that there was at least telephone service at the plant by 1912. It's funny that 50 years later they still want people to wire them!
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Bob, 3060 East 44th. St. Los Angeles 58, CA probably 90058 now. I heard it was still standing and in use!
                    You know when I have time, I otta try finding it on one O those airial-map websites, but right now I gotta take advantage of a "sun break" and get a load of extra lumber into my Transtar 1 ton and down to Home depot. We had extra 2X12's left from building my swing-up staircase up to the parts loft in the pole building.

Talk to ya later, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob, 3060 East 44th. St. Los Angeles 58, CA probably 90058 now. I heard it was still standing and in use!
                      You know when I have time, I otta try finding it on one O those airial-map websites, but right now I gotta take advantage of a "sun break" and get a load of extra lumber into my Transtar 1 ton and down to Home depot. We had extra 2X12's left from building my swing-up staircase up to the parts loft in the pole building.

Talk to ya later, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I used the reverse phone number lookup available at whitepages.com and here are the results:
                        (574) 289-7111 is a land line based in South Bend, IN
                        The registered service provider is Ameritech Indiana**.
                        Detailed listing information is not available

Comment

I used the reverse phone number lookup available at whitepages.com and here are the results:
                          (574) 289-7111 is a land line based in South Bend, IN
                          The registered service provider is Ameritech Indiana**.
                          Detailed listing information is not available

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by StudeRich

One has to keep in mind, a long distance phone call was VERY expensive compared to what it costs today. Imagine being put on hold for 10 minutes while searching out that elusive part!! A call was something like $2.95 in 1964 dollars for the first 3 minutes and then .50 cents a minute therafter. Not to mention, you couldn't call after 6 because no one would be there to answer the phone at Studebaker. The call probably would have cost more than the actual part you were looking for! Today, its around 10 cents a minute regardless where you are calling from; extremely cheap to what was. An exception to the rule~one of the few things that have actually come down in price over the years making it easy to forget calling grandma's house wasn't exactly cheap...

Craig.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by StudeRich

One has to keep in mind, a long distance phone call was VERY expensive compared to what it costs today. Imagine being put on hold for 10 minutes while searching out that elusive part!! A call was something like $2.95 in 1964 dollars for the first 3 minutes and then .50 cents a minute therafter. Not to mention, you couldn't call after 6 because no one would be there to answer the phone at Studebaker. The call probably would have cost more than the actual part you were looking for! Today, its around 10 cents a minute regardless where you are calling from; extremely cheap to what was. An exception to the rule~one of the few things that have actually come down in price over the years making it easy to forget calling grandma's house wasn't exactly cheap...

Craig.

Comment

Still AT 7-1111 in 1963. Mr. Egbert's ext. was 2532.
                                Special Long Distance number for President and Staff:AT 9-7125, ext.40
                                (forgot the url) http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/phone.jpg

Dwain G.
                                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                                X