No announcement yet.

Best stude exhaust note (whatcha got?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best stude exhaust note (whatcha got?)

I'm just doing a little day dreaming and thinking about kind of exhaust system I plan to use with the 53. I've heard some really fine sounding studes out there but was wondering what the best sounding setup was. I saw a clip right here of someone running a 232 on the stand with no exhaust except the cast manifolds right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4eIuo7XNI Now that sounded really nice. I've also heard R2 Avantis that sounded amazing, and a few really good custom setups. I wondered how a stude would sound with straight pipe and no muffler at all, since they sound so good on the stand. I'm a sucker for a sweet sounding engine, and the way a car sounds is super important to me. I know you guys have some sweet sounding cars, and would love to hear what you think is the best sounding studebaker, studerbaker powered only though. So what clips can you show me? I would love to hear some wild stuff crazy stuff too. If you know please include info about the setup as well.

Doesn't have to be a V8 to sound good either...

Last edited by 62champ; 06-30-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Yes that's why I didn't specifie. I've seen this one before too

Comment

Add two cylinders, but keep them all lined up

Comment

This is funny. I can remember vividly the first time I saw an Avanti because I HEARD it first. I can remember the corner I was standing on and how my head snapped around to see what was making that rumble. I was 16 in 1963 and wanted an Avanti immediately. I'm now on my second one and the sound is still sweet. Tom

Comment

Side-valve sixes aint in no need of silencer, that I discovered when I bought a -50 Windsor once & found a muffler under the car (only one) that had "Ford" stamped on it & I thought "you're under the wrong car!" & replaced it with a straight pipe.
            Only loud when the pedal hit the metal... but a sweet sound!

Comment

Our 182 cubic inch Stude V8:

The Salt 2 Salt boys leaving on a record run at Bonneville Speed Week.

Here we are, a few minutes after the car moved for the first time this year under its own power. We are just beginning to tune the Holley HP 390 4150 carb. A...

Comment

Hard to beat the great sound of an R2 avanti running through glasspacks without the equalizer, and with intake crossover plugged..................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Loud doesn't cut it for me any more. I go for more subtle with the hint that if pushed would blow yer freakin' doors clean off!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hope Jim doesn't mind me posting his old video of his old Avanti. I think when this was shot, the car only had 7,000 original miles. It sounded much better at 10,000 miles with the clone R3 heads. <grin>

BTW, the end of the video was not staged.

Comment

Maybe (hopefully) the Trooper just wanted to admire the Avanti <G>
                      Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Hope Jim doesn't mind me posting his old video of his old Avanti. I think when this was shot, the car only had 7,000 original miles. It sounded much better at 10,000 miles with the clone R3 heads. <grin>

BTW, the end of the video was not staged.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Now that was hilarious!

Comment

I don't have a video or sound clip for you to hear, but I have 2.5 inch pipes with 2.5 in flowmaster series 40 mufflers on my Daytona with a 289. Its a true dual exhuast that was all custom bent, I usually don't go anywhere with it with out getting a complement on the way it sounds.

Todd

Comment

An Avanti R2 with R3 headers and 2" diameter exhaust all the way back, but instead of mufflers utilized 3 5/8 diameter stainless tubes the length of the original mufflers. There was nothing inside the 3 5/8 diameter shells. The ends unscrewed in case we wanted to install baffling or packing, but we never did. It sounded just a little more rumble than factory at idle, and driving in town. Raspy when accelerating hard.

When making these mufflers, we went to an exhaust repair shop, and took their take offs back and cut them apart. Most interesting was from a Mazda truck, (before the Ranger), and it was a round empty shell.

There are enough bends with the original Avanti to make chambers for some deadening of the exhaust.
                            Last edited by grobb284; 06-30-2013, 05:36 PM.
                            sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Here's my infantile efforts at recording a 289 with a notchy carb and a cranky 3-spd. The digital camera was bungee-corded to the lip of the Lark's deck lid. Wind noise overtook it as the speed went up.

Forgive my neophyte attempts at video recording, but I wanted to see if I could do some better audio of a Stude V8 at speed. I still haven't mastered it, but...
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X