Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repacking Avanti Wheel Bearing: Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repacking Avanti Wheel Bearing: Question?

As part of rebuilding my rear brakes, I pulled both axles and repacked the wheel bearings by forcing new (red lithium) grease into the bearings until nearly all the old stuff had been forced out. Then I coated the inside face of the retainer/race, inserted both axles and got the endplay dialed in to .003" on the passenger side.

My question - is that sufficient? There was a ton of old grease in the axle tube between the inner oil seal and the bearing. I removed all of it, along with the old grease between the bearing and the outer grease seal. I could see no benefit of grease in those locations.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I really don't want to remove the axles again, but I also don't want to burn up a bearing. Do I need all that grease inboard and outboard of the wheel bearing if the bearing itself is properly greased?

No need for second thoughts in my opinion, Michael. It sounds like you did an appropriate job.

If it will make you feel any better, you could pull them back out 10,000 miles later and pack them again. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In my opinion, the Grease at least some, would be good BEHIND the Bearing, between it and the Inner Seal, but NONE between the Bearing and the outer seal that keeps Grease out of the Brake Drum.

On the pre 1958 Models that had the plug to remove and use a zerk fitting to grease the Bearing, that area behind the bearing got between 3/4 and full of Grease, so it could not hurt.

The problem with that was, few people knew about the plugged hole behind the axle flange.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        In my opinion, the Grease at least some, would be good BEHIND the Bearing, between it and the Inner Seal, but NONE between the Bearing and the outer seal that keeps Grease out of the Brake Drum.

On the pre 1958 Models that had the plug to remove and use a zerk fitting to grease the Bearing, that area behind the bearing got between 3/4 and full of Grease, so it could not hurt.

The problem with that was, few people knew about the plugged hole behind the axle flange.
        Guess I could add the fittings now, but I'm afraid drilling and tapping the axle tube will contaminate the bearing with metal chipsl

Comment

call me anal but I usually soak the bearings in solvent, sometimes overnight, until every trace of grease is cleaned away and out of the old bearing.....then carefully w/o spinning the rollers, I blow at low pressure the unit for full dry/clean...then I hand pack, and re-install on axle....If lazy (usually the case), I simply use a parts' brush and solvent with the bearing on the axle......I don't recall how difficult the rear bearings are to find....I do know they are a bit pricey when found.....

Comment

Originally posted by dadondemand View Post
            As part of rebuilding my rear brakes, I pulled both axles and repacked the wheel bearings by forcing new (red lithium) grease into the bearings until nearly all the old stuff had been forced out. Then I coated the inside face of the retainer/race, inserted both axles and got the endplay dialed in to .003" on the passenger side.

My question - is that sufficient? There was a ton of old grease in the axle tube between the inner oil seal and the bearing. I removed all of it, along with the old grease between the bearing and the outer grease seal. I could see no benefit of grease in those locations.

Now I'm having second thoughts. I really don't want to remove the axles again, but I also don't want to burn up a bearing. Do I need all that grease inboard and outboard of the wheel bearing if the bearing itself is properly greased?
            You did a great job. No need to go back and re-do anything. Fire that puppy up and ease on down the road at least 25,000 miles before even thinking about it again. Happy motoring !

Comment

Working...
            X