R3-r4 roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R3-r4 roster

Could someone email me the latest R3-R4 roster?
    THANKS

Not sure if there actually is one. At least not a really accurate one. It's too bad a 'head count' on these rare engines wasn't done fifty years ago. But it wasn't, so now We have to guess. As Craig Fitzgerald said in the August 2004 'Hemmings Muscle Machines'..."The community of R3 power train custodians is both tiny and tight". This is, once again, the MAJOR reason I am reaching out on this SDC Forum to anyone building a replica of the R3-R4 type Studebaker engine to identify the work they've accomplished by adding an I.D. plate to their particular build. Not for any confusion these engines may cause NOW really, but confusion they probably WILL cause thirty-forty years down the road. I certainly have met strong resistance to this idea from some people......but I feel confident that ultimately they will see that this is a worthy idea.

Comment

John Shannahan maintains a roster. You might try contacting him for a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        John Shannahan maintains a roster. You might try contacting him for a copy.
        Good thought Matt, but I believe what OORACER is actually looking for is a definitive list of existing original R3 Studebakers AND/OR engines. That might be very hard or impossible to find. The last time I looked at John's roster, it contained a list of Studebaker automobiles that were factory (or Paxton) equipped with the R3 or the R4 engine.....and their current whereabouts. (If known). R3-R4 engine production far?? exceeded that list!

Comment

The last one I knew of, Ron Ellerbe had.
          THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Good thought Matt, but I believe what OORACER is actually looking for is a definitive list of existing original R3 Studebakers AND/OR engines. That might be very hard or impossible to find. The last time I looked at John's roster, it contained a list of Studebaker automobiles that were factory (or Paxton) equipped with the R3 or the R4 engine.....and their current whereabouts. (If known). R3-R4 engine production far?? exceeded that list!
            John's roster is a roster of current known (and their current owners) R3 and R3 engines and cars.

Comment

John's roster is a roster of current known (and their current owners) R3 and R3 engines and cars.
              Well, if that's the case, John's updated roster would be great info to have. Of course, to assume EVERY existing original Studebaker R3-R4 engine is included in this roster may be misleading!

Comment

Of course, to assume EVERY existing original Studebaker R3-R4 engine is included in this roster may be misleading!
                Wait, is that why it's called a list of KNOWN surviving cars/blocks...?

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Does it have this one I did?......no tribute plate on the engine . Holy carp!.......but it IS a real R3 engine B61

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Does it have this one I did?.....
                    What number was the car and where did it go?

thx
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Brad, yes the R3 you restored is listed.

Well, if that's the case, John's updated roster would be great info to have. Of course, to assume EVERY existing original Studebaker R3-R4 engine is included in this roster may be misleading!
                      I said, "current known engines".

Comment

I'm curious of how much of an inventory of R3 R4 engines might have been kept on hand in South Bend during production there.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          Does it have this one I did?......no tribute plate on the engine . Holy carp!.......but it IS a real R3 engine

http://bez-auto-alchemy.blogspot.com...&by-date=false
                          Bez,......Every time that You mock the I.D. plate idea,Your position on this matter becomes clearer......and weaker.

Comment

Brad, yes the R3 you restored is listed.

I said, "current known engines".
                            Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              [SIZE=3] Wait, is that why it's called a list of KNOWN surviving cars/blocks...?
                              [/SI

StudeDave '57
                              I know, but cut Him a break.....he clarified His wording.

Comment

Working...
                              X