Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander question

Hey guys,

Finally bought my first Studebaker this past weekend. From what I can tell it is a 1951 Studebaker Commander... 232 v8, automatic.

what im struggling with is how do I know if its a landcruiser, or just the 4 door state sedan? Im assuming it is basic state 4 door sedan.

My intentions with the car is to do a full frame off restoration back to how it left the assembly line. I am going to purchase the build sheets through the museum directory and hopefully that gives me a good jump in the right direction.

Thanks for your time, doug

If the windows on the rear doors have a seperate piece of glass behind the roll down part, it is a Land Cruiser.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a sedan.

Will you give us the numbers and letters on the firewall, please? They should say something like H-W5 1234

The word "state" is an up-trim level in certain years.

Be sure to also purchase the
    -shop manual
    -body parts manual
    -chassis parts manual

These three books will give you a much better understanding of how all the pieces go together, what they are properly called, and their part numbers/ That makes it MUCH easier to obtain replacement parts.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Good idea to buy the Production Order from the museum if you want to restore it "as built."

As Roy said, if it has vent windows in the rear doors, it is a Land Cruiser. Otherwise, it isn't. I was able to blow up your picture quite a bit, and it does look like a straight 4-door sedan; not a Land Cruiser.

Congratulations on the project; lots of history in a last-year bullet-nose / first year V8 Commander. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        If the windows on the rear doors have a seperate piece of glass behind the roll down part, it is a Land Cruiser.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a sedan.

Will you give us the numbers and letters on the firewall, please? They should say something like H-W5 1234

The word "state" is an up-trim level in certain years.

Be sure to also purchase the
        -shop manual
        -body parts manual
        -chassis parts manual

These three books will give you a much better understanding of how all the pieces go together, what they are properly called, and their part numbers/ That makes it MUCH easier to obtain replacement parts.

Thank you for the response. I can get all those numbers this weekend. I'll make a trip out to my storage unit and look for everything. It was just too cold out the other day to spend too much time out there. I will have to try and find those books also. Im going to need as much help as I can get...

Here is one other picture..

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Good idea to buy the Production Order from the museum if you want to restore it "as built."

As Roy said, if it has vent windows in the rear doors, it is a Land Cruiser. Otherwise, it isn't. I was able to blow up your picture quite a bit, and it does look like a straight 4-door sedan; not a Land Cruiser.

Congratulations on the project; lots of history in a last-year bullet-nose / first year V8 Commander. BP
          Thank you. I have been looking for a 4 door bullet-nose for quite a few years now, and im greatly looking forward to starting the restoration. Im sure it is going to take quite a few years but it will be well worth it!

Comment

i've got an extra "chassis parts catalog" for '51 thru '53 Commanders and Champions. it's yours for postage cost, if you wish.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              i've got an extra "chassis parts catalog" for '51 thru '53 Commanders and Champions. it's yours for postage cost, if you wish.
              That would be great!

Comment

I have a '51 Commander with automatic. You're going to love it!

The books are available from many of our Studebaker vendors. You can get them in print form or combined on one CD-ROM.
                Do join the Studebaker Drivers Club for all the technical information, history, stories, vendor contacts, classifieds and links to Studebaker activities you will find in the monthly TURNING WHEELS magazine.

Make contact with a local chapter for local folks in the know to encourage, advise and assist.

Here's just a darned good article to prime the new Studebaker owner.

Here's a quick link to get you started in your quest for the manuals.
                Scroll down to the ninth link from the bottom.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
                  That would be great!
                  PM me with your address, etc... i'll get back with you tomorrow - hitting the "hay" shortly.

Comment

Hey guys,

Finally bought my first Studebaker this past weekend. From what I can tell it is a 1951 Studebaker Commander... 232 v8, automatic.

what im struggling with is how do I know if its a landcruiser, or just the 4 door state sedan? Im assuming it is basic state 4 door sedan.

My intentions with the car is to do a full frame off restoration back to how it left the assembly line. I am going to purchase the build sheets through the museum directory and hopefully that gives me a good jump in the right direction.

Thanks for your time, doug

Hey Doug -- Good to see another new Stude owner. I have only owned my 50 Commander since September but have learned a lot since then. The shop manual especially will help with any maintenance issues. Enjoy that car and keep posting!
                    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                    Regal Deluxe Trim
                    Automatic transmission
                    46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Doug, PM sent.

Comment

appreciate all the great advice guys. I am a current SDC member, and part of the Wisconsin chapter for a little over a year now. Being younger I was a little hesitant to post up on here, but seems like a real nice place to learn and get help with my first full restoration... Is there a good place to start a build thread? it will be a frame off restoration and if anyone's interested in following it I thought I could make a little section for pictures etc.

Comment

just start a new thread on this section of the forum with a good description in the title, such as: "51 Commander Rebuild w/pics".

most all love pics, but some with dial-up 'puter access like the "heads-up" about pics.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I can get all those numbers this weekend. I'll make a trip out to my storage unit and look for everything. It was just too cold out the other day to spend too much time out there. I will have to try and find those books also. Im going to need as much help as I can get...

Here is one other picture..
                            The land cruiser
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1679494

Comment

Since it's obvious that there's no vent windows on the rear doors, this is just a Commander 4-dr. An H-W5 it would appear.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X