No announcement yet.

1951 Commander question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay cool. Since I now know what kind of commander it is for sure, i'll start a build thread on it... It's going to be a while before I honestly can start digging into the car but I have some photos i'll post up to start it off with. Thanks to everyone that was able to help me answer my question.

Comment

Welcome to the club. Nice to see another person fixing up a 4 door Bullet Nose. I love mine. Mine is a Champion but they look almost the same. Another thing that is different about the Land Cruiser is that it has a longer wheelbase. The back doors are wider than the shorter wheelbase sedans.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine for inspiration. Whether you fix it up original or modify it, have fun. It's your car, do it the way you like it.

My pictures are obviously before and after.
      Attached Files
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
        Welcome to the club. Nice to see another person fixing up a 4 door Bullet Nose. I love mine. Mine is a Champion but they look almost the same. Another thing that is different about the Land Cruiser is that it has a longer wheelbase. The back doors are wider than the shorter wheelbase sedans.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine for inspiration. Whether you fix it up original or modify it, have fun. It's your car, do it the way you like it.

My pictures are obviously before and after.
        Wow! That looks Great! How long did it take you from start to finish on the rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          If the windows on the rear doors have a seperate piece of glass behind the roll down part, it is a Land Cruiser.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a sedan.

Will you give us the numbers and letters on the firewall, please? They should say something like H-W5 1234

The word "state" is an up-trim level in certain years.

Be sure to also purchase the
          -shop manual
          -body parts manual
          -chassis parts manual

These three books will give you a much better understanding of how all the pieces go together, what they are properly called, and their part numbers/ That makes it MUCH easier to obtain replacement parts.
          stopped out to the unit today, and these are the numbers on the Firewall.. HW-5 5169....

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
            Wow! That looks Great! How long did it take you from start to finish on the rebuild?
            About 8 years and a ton of money. But I'm older and retired. You may have other priorities for your money. Don't be impatient and you can save a ton if you do the work yourself. The real joy is in the process and the planning.

Have fun
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by 63avanti. View Post
              stopped out to the unit today, and these are the numbers on the Firewall.. HW-5 5169....
              H= '51 Commander
              W5= State trim; this is good! Depending on the options ordered, this car had a premium finish.
              5169= simply means this was the 5169th four door sedan body to be mounted to the Commander chassis.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X