What do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think

I took my truck for a drive yesterday to a friendsClick image for larger version

Name:	pickup at chucks 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1738169had a good time. Any way he has a 1963 Cruiser that has a sun roof and he said it was a R-1 car but no engine in it now. I did look under it and it does have disc brakes. The vin 63V11136, how rare is this car. The car would need a full restore. If anyone is interested I would pass along the info.

Here's the engine

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/archive/index.php?t-59234.html
    JDP Maryland

Comment

That is strange. About a year a go I bought this Same R-1 from my friend. It was in a pile of other old engines. I didn't even know he had that Cruiser at that time. Well I rebuilt the engine and it is waiting to go into my 62 Hawk. Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker engine r-1 008.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1679209

Comment

Originally posted by TMAN0950 View Post
        I took my truck for a drive yesterday to a friends[ATTACH=CONFIG]21750[/ATTACH]had a good time. Any way he has a 1963 Cruiser that has a sun roof and he said it was a R-1 car but no engine in it now. I did look under it and it does have disc brakes. The vin 63V11136, how rare is this car? The car would need a full restore. If anyone is interested I would pass along the info.
        Most likely "1 of 1" when you break the numberes down. I'd change my plans of putting that engine in the '62 Hawk and start restoring that '63 Cruiser!

Craig

Comment

That is strange. About a year a go I bought this Same R-1 from my friend. It was in a pile of other old engines. I didn't even know he had that Cruiser at that time. Well I rebuilt the engine and it is waiting to go into my 62 Hawk. [ATTACH=CONFIG]21751[/ATTACH]
          So...here's your chance to buy and restore the Cruiser to its former glory...install another engine in the Hawk and increase your fleet of cool cars.

Sometimes a little bit of premature senility (keeping you from connecting the dots) can be beneficial. However...act quick before it overwhelms you!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I bought that car in '78 in South Bend. Towed a 'pick up bed trailer' with stuff when we made our move to Arizona. Used it for Grand Canyon SDC functions. Pulled the R1 and installed it in a 64 GT that I bought fron the party that has the Cruser. Sold the Cruser him guess about 25 years ago. A couple of years after noving back to South Bend, I pulled the R1 out of the 64 and a 259 in it when I sold it. The engine was loaded on a flat bed and found it's way back to Arizona. It was in a pick up for a while. Drove it for a spell on our way to York. That was many years ago. "O" the memorys.
            Last edited by DieselJim; 03-01-2013, 06:03 AM. Reason: add story

Comment

That is strange. About a year a go I bought this Same R-1 from my friend. It was in a pile of other old engines. I didn't even know he had that Cruiser at that time. Well I rebuilt the engine and it is waiting to go into my 62 Hawk. [ATTACH=CONFIG]21751[/ATTACH]
              If it is the same engine, I had put hard exhaust valve seats in it.

Comment

Wow, Studebakers never die, they just keep moving around. Any info on the Cruiser you can shair, here is the engine as I got it. It is now 30 over and all new.Click image for larger version

Name:	62 hawk parts 002.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1679210Click image for larger version

Name:	62 hawk parts 012.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1679211

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                  I bought that car in '78 in South Bend. Towed a 'pick up bed trailer' with stuff when we made our move to Arizona. Used it for Grand Canyon SDC functions. Pulled the R1 and installed it in a 64 GT that I bought fron the party that has the Cruser. Sold the Cruser him guess about 25 years ago. A couple of years after noving back to South Bend, I pulled the R1 out of the 64 and a 259 in it when I sold it. The engine was loaded on a flat bed and found it's way back to Arizona. It was in a pick up for a while. Drove it for a spell on our way to York. That was many years ago. "O" the memorys.
                  Dieseljim, what happened to the 64 hawk with the 259? was it an early 259 or a late full flow? did it by any chance go to Oregon? and what color was it? if this match I might just have ended up with that 64 a few years ago.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    Dieseljim, what happened to the 64 hawk with the 259? was it an early 259 or a late full flow? did it by any chance go to Oregon? and what color was it? if this match I might just have ended up with that 64 a few years ago.
                    It stayed in Indiana. Engine was full flow. Color was Moonlite Silver. Sold it around '94

Comment

Wow, Studebakers never die, they just keep moving around. Any info on the Cruiser you can shair, here is the engine as I got it. It is now 30 over and all new.[ATTACH=CONFIG]21752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21753[/ATTACH]
                      Was told by Dave at SASCO that there only 2 63 Crusers Sky Tops made. It also had red velour interior. R1, heavy duty auto with a 27 axel. Changed spider gears a couple of times.

Comment

Was told by Dave at SASCO that there only 2 63 Crusers Sky Tops made. It also had red velour interior. R1, heavy duty auto with a 27 axel. Changed spider gears a couple of times.
                        I can't imagine that a 27 axle is what it originally was equipped with.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder if that "velour" was actually broadcloth. The Bell's have a nice R1 Cruiser in Rose Mist with that interior.

Craig

Comment

My father-in law purcased 4 cars somewhere around Fort Wayne In. around 75-76. The Cruiser sky top, R1 auto, a full package 63 R2-4 speed GT, a 63 wagon, 6, auto and a 64 Cruiser full package R1, power shift, AM-FM radio. The wagon went to Komoko In. The 2 package cars went to Granger In. where they got parted out. Bill McDowel ended up with the complete 64 Cruiser running gear. And I got the Sky top, Could have had any one of them.

Comment

I knew that you could get whatever you wanted from Studebaker, but that threw me through a loop when I found that under my Daytona. The '55 Commander had a 259/3 speed with a Dana 44. The '64 Commander started out(as far as I know) with a 170 six cylinder/Flightomatic and a Dana 44. The '63 Daytona had a 259/Flightomatic and a Dana 23! I looked under there and it looked like a step backwards when I saw the smaller axle, axle tubes, and casting on the rear axle! Either somebody had a very light foot, or this rear axle has been serviced a few times for wiped out gears!
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X