"belt" moulding on a 61 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "belt" moulding on a 61 Hawk

Looking to pick the brains of those knowledgeable about C/K series.
    I recently picked up a 61 Hawk. For being in NY, it was amazingly solid and I intend on driving it as a survivor, complete with a few dents. However I can't help but think about replacing all of the heavily pitted potmetal parts. SI has many of the replacement potmetal parts, but one item they do not have available is the moulding set that is below the side windows and windshield, a total of 7 pieces. I have some pictures of some Hawks in a local junkyard, some have the mouldings, some don't.
    Now, I have a 55 C body Champion sitting by my barn, (that I sold over a year ago) and it has stainless mouldings instead of potmetal. I am contemplating finding a set of stainless mouldings and replacing my pitted potmetal pieces. So here are my questions:
    1-Did any year Hawks use stainless "belt" mouldings?
    2-Did 53 and 54 C or K body cars use the stainless "belt" mouldings?

I think there was one 55 C body in the junkyard, and a couple 53 or 54s. I don't recall seeing any K body cars there. I will have to wait until spring to find out for sure, but would like to know how many years and models used stainless for these mouldings.

It was a 1955 ONLY thing, and they should have kept it all the way to '61, but since they did not a mod could work fine IF you can find '55 Only "C" Coupe Stainless pieces.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studoc View Post
      I recently picked up a 61 Hawk. For being in NY, it was amazingly solid and I intend on driving it as a survivor, complete with a few dents. However I can't help but think about replacing all of the heavily pitted potmetal parts. SI has many of the replacement potmetal parts, but one item they do not have available is the moulding set that is below the side windows and windshield, a total of 7 pieces. I have some pictures of some Hawks in a local junkyard, some have the mouldings, some don't.
      Now, I have a 55 C body Champion sitting by my barn, (that I sold over a year ago) and it has stainless mouldings instead of potmetal. I am contemplating finding a set of stainless mouldings and replacing my pitted potmetal pieces. So here are my questions:

I think there was one 55 C body in the junkyard, and a couple 53 or 54s. I don't recall seeing any K body cars there. I will have to wait until spring to find out for sure, but would like to know how many years and models used stainless for these mouldings.
      Like Rich said....those '55 stainless mouldings are an excellent alternative to the pot metal ones!

Comment

55 only... and to think I have a car sitting here with the parts I need, and I sold it. I sure hope my memory serves me right in that there was one 55 Coupe in the junkyard. Maybe I should just buy the car back, put the mouldings on my Hawk, and hotrod the 55... sounds good, except I recall selling it because it was so rusty. I think it needs every patch panel ever made, and maybe more. I've been there with my R5 pickup, and vowed never to do that again.
        Thanks for the info, guys. It is great to be able to ask questions like this and have an answer in short order.

Comment

Another question... would the three mouldings below the windshield be the same between coupes and fours doors for 1955? The windshields are apparently different, but I am not sure about the mouldings.

Comment

No I am pretty sure they do not, the curvature is different, but you can check me by checking the '55 to '58 Studebaker Body Parts Catalog.

You do own a Studebaker right? I can not see how anyone could deal with them without these priceless Bibles of info.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, I have 2 'bakers.
              Maybe after I stop spending my kids' inheritance on Studebaker parts, I may buy manuals. LOL. Maybe I should start working on Fords or Chevys, then I can afford both parts AND manuals.

It is a good thing for me that I have other resources for the information... like you and other knowledgeable SDCers. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Yes the 55 stainless trim pieces are easier to keep looking nice but they did not come on the 61 hawks, they were the pot metal ones , Have a few set of them but nothing perfect all have some pitting but very use able. I would not put the 55 stainless on any car I owned unless it was a 55. to each his own.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I got banned from a car wash in 1971 because of those pot metal wrap around pieces.
                  Took the '61 Hawk through the car wash (rust holes and all) when I first started (legally) driving it..
                  The front fender rustout holes snagged their pom-pom like brushes and tore them off the spinner gizmo's.
                  The center wrap around piece (between the wiper posts) was popped loose by the dryer blower
                  and shout it out the front of the car wash (like a samurai sword) where the gang was drying freshly cleaned cars.
                  My Hawk looked like a high school parade float.
                  The owner of the car was told me to go away and never bring that car back...
                  (Sort of like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld... "NO CAR WASH FOR YOU TODAY!")
                  Jeff

Originally posted by studoc View Post

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm sitting on a complete set of the 55 coupe stainless mouldings (and it's painful since some of the fasteners are still intact!). Thing is, CASOs need not apply. And if someone were to want just a few pieces of it, they'd have to buy the whole set. I would rather someone with a '53 or '54 coupe bought it to replace all the pot metal variety. My price? Well, it's less than what's been paid for 57-58 Packard wagon taglite emblems.

Edit to add that I don't really have the fasteners to install the stainless, although aftermarket stuff CAN be bought that would work. And some Stude vendors might still have NOS.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Some of the earlier pot metal ones from earlier year c/k's will also work on the 61 Hawk if you change the type of fasteners holding them on. I found this out when I was searching for NOS ones for my Hawk a lot of years back. I think my hawk has two different style clips holding the moldings on the top of the door.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        Yes the 55 stainless trim pieces are easier to keep looking nice but they did not come on the 61 hawks, they were the pot metal ones , Have a few set of them but nothing perfect all have some pitting but very use able. I would not put the 55 stainless on any car I owned unless it was a 55. to each his own.
                        While I understand your position, I am not concerned with political correctness since it would be easily changed back to the pitted potmetal pieces if one so desired. If I can find a stainless set at the local boneyard, I will get them, if not, so be it. From what I gather chrome platers are not fond of badly pitted potmetal pieces, and the stainless would take care of that problem at a significant savings. I plan to drive the car this year as is, but have considered a new paint job, but only if I can get all the necessary chrome pieces to complete the whole car. The fin and tail light housings come up on Ebay quite frequently, most everything else is available new from SI. The big stumbling block was the belt moulding set. My grilles are in good enough condition to be replated.
                        I am currently experimenting with powder coating, which at best, will provide a polished aluminum look. Its not chrome, but would still look better than deep pits. I may try that if I decide the leave the paint alone.

Comment

The 3 potmetal mouldings under the windshield are the same for '53 to '61 and maybe GT hawks too. I have the center section from a '61 hawk on my '53. The only difference is how the studs that go through the cowl are secured. Earlier cars have little bars with nuts you have to put on from inside the car. Later ones they have a clip that fits onto the stud so they can be snapped in from the outside.

Sedan mouldings are different and wont fit.

A tip: There are rubber seals for the studs where they go through. You can make them by cutting up thin foam rubber from a computer mouse pad. Make sure its not open cell foam though or it will soak up water. Some pads are and some are closed cell.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                            The 3 potmetal mouldings under the windshield are the same for '53 to '61 and maybe GT hawks too. I have the center section from a '61 hawk on my '53. The only difference is how the studs that go through the cowl are secured. Earlier cars have little bars with nuts you have to put on from inside the car. Later ones they have a clip that fits onto the stud so they can be snapped in from the outside.

Sedan mouldings are different and wont fit.

A tip: There are rubber seals for the studs where they go through. You can make them by cutting up thin foam rubber from a computer mouse pad. Make sure its not open cell foam though or it will soak up water. Some pads are and some are closed cell.
                            I use the valve cover grommet just thin it out some and the outer size fits perfect and the inter is the same size as the bolt on the molding .
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Working...
                            X