Added some "bling" to my 64 Daytona CNV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added some "bling" to my 64 Daytona CNV

I added some trim pieces from 64, 65 & 66 Studebakers to the rear of my 64 convertible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64 CNV RRdnxx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1737934 Click image for larger version

Name:	64 CNV new rear.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1737935

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
    55 Speedster (in work)
    63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
    64 Avanti R2 (completed)
    85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
    89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

I like it - it adds to an otherwise bland design.

On another note, I like the idea proposed for the possible '67 models which was to bring the bumper up some to disguise the "tallness" of the design. I would do away with the separate back up lights and incorporate them underneath the tailights. Just my thoughts...

Your car looks nice and I like the red convertible top.

Mr. Bill
    Hamlet, NC
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I need one of those.
      Not the trim, the whole car.

Dean.

Comment

Good looking car either way. I do like how the black added to back goes with the side mouldings.
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

That's great, now all you need is the '66 Cruiser/Daytona Stainless and Chrome Gas Cap to finish the look!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I feel that the back of the '64 Daytonas is the least attractive part of the car and your added bling helps a bit. Too bad Brooks Stephens didnt spend a little more time on this part of the car. Perhaps he should have made it a boattail.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Tailights

I like the treatment on the tail lights. I always thought doubling up would improve visibility in this modern era and adding the wagonaire/'66 back up lamps keeps it looking more or less "stock".
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                I feel that the back of the '64 Daytonas is the least attractive part of the car and your added bling helps a bit. Too bad Brooks Stephens didnt spend a little more time on this part of the car. Perhaps he should have made it a boattail.
                Wrong, the Daytona rear trunk trim is more than needed, cruiser trim on the trunk looks goddy, double stop lights ok as are the back up lights, lower center does nothing for it, some of these look better with less, Brooks Stevens knew what he was doing from the start.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Would the taillights and trunklid fit a '63?

Comment

You would have to change the rear panel on your '63 to a '64 piece. Then it should be do-able. And you would have to add the bolt on corner pieces to connect the quarter panels to the '64 style rear panel.
                    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop
                    1962 Champ Truck
                    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Provided your taillights are now all brake light, top and bottom, you have really improved the big problem with those cars, which is lack of brake light surface.
                      By the way, if you think the '64 sedans were short on brake light, then check out a Wagonaire. Their ltail lights have more side light than they do to the rear.
                      I always thought the fix on the wagons would be 1966/67 Chevy Nova tail lights mounted on the flat surface on either side of the back window. They will fit there, and their alumunim housings would even go along with the stock Daytona side trim.

That said, otherwise I'm with Bob, "Brooks Stevens knew what he was doing!"

Comment

Provided your taillights are now all brake light, top and bottom, you have really improved the big problem with those cars, which is lack of brake light surface.
                        Brake/turn lights are on top & bottom but only the top are tail lights, I need to pick up a couple of pigtails to make all four brake/turn and tail. I considered a LED third brake light mounted beneath the rear window but it did not look good. I have installed a 700R4 trans so the back-up lights operate from a pushbutton.

55 Speedster (in work)
                        64 Avanti R2 (completed)

Comment

i like it! agree w/StudeRich in post #5 - especially the gas cap.
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

StudeRich
                            That's great, now all you need is the '66 Cruiser/Daytona Stainless and Chrome Gas Cap to finish the look!
                            Corvanti
                            i like it! agree w/StudeRich in post #5 - especially the gas cap.
                            OK y'all, I took the chrome gas cap from my 63 Daytona R2 and put it on the 64 CNV, not sure it looks better (makes for an awful lot of shiny).

Click image for larger version

Name:	64 CNV new rear.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1678728 Click image for larger version

Name:	64 CNV R wcap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1678729

55 Speedster (in work)
                            64 Avanti R2 (completed)

Comment

Having FUN with mixing and modifing Studebaker Parts

Well it does complete the intended look, a band all the way across the rear panel.
                              My opinion is, it would have looked better with a lighter color other black painted in it.
                              Walnut would be totally 1964 to 70ish acceptable trim.

But like Bob Peterson said, I prefer the stock Daytona Decklid Mouldings to the too much
                              Silver,
                              Cruiser one.

Better yet, would have been to remove all the Stude. block letters and add the cool swoopy '64 "
                              Studebaker " script on the left, like a Commander between the center and upper Daytona Mouldings.

Or...you could easily have done the above to the Cruiser Panel and got rid of all that Aluminum
                              (Silver) between the fake mouldings on top & bottom by adding Walnut Station Wagon Vinyl trim or Black or Maroon Paint to match the top & Interior.

There are a whole lot of custom options if you like different, which you obviously do.

The 4 Tail lights are a good safety upgrade.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X