No announcement yet.

Factory Tires Hamilton Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is an interesting Production order Paul. Thanks for posting it.
    Of note is the 2085 "Lock", when this was discussed before, what did we decide it was? A locking Gas Cap?
    Rear Door Childproof Door Locks?

The other odd thing is "Omit Seat Belts"? By 1964 it would have been illegal in import the car to the U.S. without them right?
    Maybe as long as it was "Delivered" with them installed by the Dealer it would be legal?

Definately a well ordered Car, I wonder who would do that, Lol!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
      I'm wondering about the width of whitewall for a 63 Avanti. Post #4 above says 1". In looking at period pictures the whitewall looks wider. Does anyone have definite knowledge or documentation?
      Don, my 1964 convertible has correct-reproduction 6.70X15 tires.

The whitewall width is exactly 1".

I will go on record as saying 1" is the "correct" whitewall width for OEM 1963 Avanti whitewall tires. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi jack warning.

I'm wondering about the width of whitewall for a 63 Avanti. Post #4 above says 1". In looking at period pictures the whitewall looks wider. Does anyone have definite knowledge or documentation?
        Avantis were quite narrow the same as Larks in Production, including the often ordered on Avanti optional premium Firestone "500" Tires. I never pay any attention to the pre-production Photos on Brochures etc.

Early '63 Larks and Hawks even had Firestone narrow whites that went all the way to the rim, no Black stripe, really ugly, good thing they did not stay in Production long.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks Bob and Rich. The circa 1988 whitewalls on my 63 are 1 3/8" and I want to get a correct replacement.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
            The build sheet does show a number, 1137. Maybe that identifies the tire manufacturer.
            Paul, I believe that Build Sheet you have is an 'old' transcripted one from Newman & Altman days. The 'new' copies from the museum are a direct photocopy of it. Hamiton cars will have the tire manufacturer scribbled (and I mean scribbled on it.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

The other odd thing is "Omit Seat Belts"? By 1964 it would have been illegal in import the car to the U.S. without them right?
              Maybe as long as it was "Delivered" with them installed by the Dealer it would be legal?

IIRC, January 1, 1965 is when seat belts became a legal requirement. Of course, they were a common option prior to that.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The circa 1988 whitewalls on my 63 are 1 3/8" and I want to get a correct replacement.
                When I was in the market a couple of years ago, I found that American Clasics had the correct 1" width..but at a price. I ended up with 3/4" WWs from Cooper for about 1/3rd the price. I can't tell the 1/4" difference from any distance.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

That is an interesting Production order Paul. Thanks for posting it.
                  Of note is the 2085 "Lock", when this was discussed before, what did we decide it was? A locking Gas Cap?
                  Rear Door Childproof Door Locks?

I don't know what that lock means either. I got a locking cap years later and child-proof locks much later too.
                  Even with all the factory and dealer-installed stuff (Hill Holder, Studebaker AC and a right headrest) I was still a CASO at heart. I wanted to install my own seat belts, mirrors, floor mats and some other odds and ends. Notice I didn't order power steering? The '61 Cruiser steered easily without, the wagon was another story so it get power steering several years later thanks to a donor '64 Daytona in a junk yard in Hayward.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

So if you saved the original slow Steering Gear it has the easiest ever steering, almost as little road feel as Chrysler full time P/S ?
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So if you saved the original slow Steering Gear it has the easiest ever steering, almost as little road feel as Chrysler full time P/S ?
                      You got that right- probably five turns lock to lock. Even then, without power, it was hard to turn especially for my wife. I've had a set of short steering arms for a long time (takes me a while to get things done).
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My '64 Commander built in Hamilton in September had seat belt delete. I could be wrong, but I think front seat belts were standard from 1963. You didn't order seat belts, you deleted them.
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                        X