Prewar Studebakers and ethanol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prewar Studebakers and ethanol?

I'll be the first to admit I don't identify prewar cars well (even Studebakers), but could it be that early Studes do like E10?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1737800
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Ron; Those are not Studebakers but very close to the 1930 President in size and overall appearance. Very interesting photo. Was not aware that the ethanol blend was available back then.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Yup, Ethanol has been made for a very long time. From what I can tell, my '40 doesn't seem to care what I run as long as it's combustable!
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
        I'll be the first to admit I don't identify prewar cars well (even Studebakers), but could it be that early Studes do like E10?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20052[/ATTACH]
        Everything old is new again?

Comment

It would be interesting for us to have a truly educated petrol-chemical engineer discuss what the difference is in vintage fuel blends and the current formulations. I doubt they are the same. I agree with the "combustible" comment, except that there are some consequences to operating an engine with less than ideal combustible qualities.

When I was in the Air Force, we used a small turbine powered generator to power a forward air control command center during war games. Once, during a mission in a remote area...we ran out of JP4 fuel. We bought some kerosene from a small country store. The engine ran on the stuff, but we had to tear the combustion can out and clean out the worst tar looking gunk you'd find in an expensive turbine engine. It was a good thing the engine was powering a generator on the ground and not an aircraft during flight. Just because it will burn, don't mean it burns well.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Note the wording on the bottom of the sign against the building, "Development Means Cornbelt Prosperity!"

Clearly from Nebraska State Archives.

A 10% ethanol mix back then would be nowhere near as corrosive to our cars as is today's 10% blend. Consider the base gasoline stock with which the 10% was being blended back then, as opposed to the base gasoline with which 10% is blended today. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X