1959 Sebring Studebaker Lark Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
    I found these pics from the book " Holman Moody: The Legendary Race Team" when I did a search. They're not of the car in racing form but are still interesting.

Take note that these are 1960 model Larks.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I don't know if this is accurate since I never have seen a picture of the real car. I guess the side emblems are wrong since it's based on a 1960 resin kit. I think the B pillar posts should be tilted back a little. Still, it's a pretty neat model.

I think that the designer of this Model may have somehow used a 4 door for the picture to copy.
      Note how in addition to the wrong angle on the Door window frames the Door is short like a 4 Door, and the rear window is Long like the 4 Door, both wrong length.

It still is a really Cool model, as many models do not have correct proportions anyway.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think they converted a hardtop promo which is hard to find unwarped. Maybe they put it in hot water and straightened it out some. I think the door lines are the same as the promo. They don't look right on those to me either but I could be wrong.
        I tried taking a hardtop and added the 4dr window frames and door lines to it. It's not that easy. It was probably a waste of time because it was pretty warped and cracked. Next time I'll start with one of their resin bodies.

Comment

This is the best I can find for now.

Larger sizes here but it won't let you save them.
          The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Comment

The four speed tranny helped road racing cars in slowing down too for corners when brakes were marginal. The lark 3 speed was not syncho in first so only had two gears to help slow down. The lark drums were about the size of a dessert plate too so pretty worth less so a road racer with four speed and disc brakes was a huge advantage. The lark engine and chassis were probably equal or nearly so to the jag.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

This is the best I can find for now.

Larger sizes here but it won't let you save them.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunivro...n/photostream/
              This is great, thanks.

Comment

I noticed that the lettering looks different on the number 2 car in this b&w shot. I went back and re-read that post and it says above it "Jocko Maggiacomo's Lark" and "All from the 1962 Souvenir Program for the 500."
                So, sorry those pics must be a different race. But I wonder if it's the same car that holman moody used.

Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I noticed that the lettering looks different on the number 2 car in this b&w shot. I went back and re-read that post and it says above it "Jocko Maggiacomo's Lark" and "All from the 1962 Souvenir Program for the 500."
                  So, sorry those pics must be a different race. But I wonder if it's the same car that holman moody used.

Jocko's Speed Shop in Poughkeepsie, NY is where Holman Moody Larks were prepared in the Northeast for racing at Limerock Park in Connecticut.
                  Jocko Maggiacomo was owner of the shop, head mechanic and also a race car driver. I believe that he drove one of the Larks in the Petit LeMans at Limerock.
                  Jocko Jr. was also at the race and he later became a NASCAR driver and owner of the speed shop. He is the one that I interviewed and got pictures of the Lark race cars from. I sent all of my information to the Editor of Turing Wheels expecting it to be turned into an article.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X