Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube flm: Highlights of the 1952 Mobilgas Economy Run

Hi, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel here. (I did the podcast with Richard Quinn back in April. It's still available on iTunes and on the Gone Autos web site.)

A few days ago, I uploaded one of the films from the cavernous Gone Autos Film Library (2 whole steel shelving units). It's a Studebaker film called Highlights of the 1952 Mobilgas Economy Run. You'll find it on the Gone Autos YouTube channel. it's a great little film that shows how the event was run and how Studebaker performed. (Since it was a film made by Studebaker, I'll give you 1.5 guesses as to how things went for the '52 Champion and Land Cruiser V8.)

And if you have any time left over after the 8-minute film, check out the blog entry I wrote about the event and the film over at the Gone Autos web site. You'll also find a rare 1953 Studebaker radio spot that promotes Studey's successes with the Economy Run in the early 1950s.

Enjoy!
    -----Todd Ruel,
    Owner/Driver, Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life

Originally posted by Gone Autos View Post
    Hi, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel here. (I did the podcast with Richard Quinn back in April. It's still available on iTunes and on the Gone Autos web site.)

A few days ago, I uploaded one of the films from the cavernous Gone Autos Film Library (2 whole steel shelving units). It's a Studebaker film called Highlights of the 1952 Mobilgas Economy Run. You'll find it on the Gone Autos YouTube channel. it's a great little film that shows how the event was run and how Studebaker performed. (Since it was a film made by Studebaker, I'll give you 1.5 guesses as to how things went for the '52 Champion and Land Cruiser V8.)

And if you have any time left over after the 8-minute film, check out the blog entry I wrote about the event and the film over at the Gone Autos web site. You'll also find a rare 1953 Studebaker radio spot that promotes Studey's successes with the Economy Run in the early 1950s.

Enjoy!
    -----Todd Ruel,
    Owner/Driver, Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life
    Hi Todd, I participated in the 1964 Mobilgas Economy Run here in Australia the vehicle being a '64 Studebaker Auto Cruiser. We achieved 25.28 MPG (Imperial) & managed third in our class. It was a lot of fun over the four days.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
      Hi Todd, I participated in the 1964 Mobilgas Economy Run here in Australia the vehicle being a '64 Studebaker Auto Cruiser. We achieved 25.28 MPG (Imperial) & managed third in our class. It was a lot of fun over the four days.
      That's GREAT! I'd love to do a podcast with drivers who participated in the Economy Run!

Back in 2001, I drove up to Livonia, Michigan, and interviewed then-90 year-old Les Viland, who drove for American Motors. He was the 9-time champ of that event here in the States, and I'm so glad I have that interview preserved on videotape. (He still had one of the trophies, and those puppies are about 6 feet tall! Needless to say, he was shorter than the trophy.)

I understand that Mobile sponsored the Economy Run is several different countries. Here in the U.S., the cars were sponsored by local dealers, and the drivers would often come from those dealerships as well. Same for Australia?

I'd love to hear your experiences. Were they different or similar to the film?

----Todd Ruel

P.S. I'm not on this forum all of the time. What is your name?

Comment

By coincidence I just received the April 1952 issue of Studebaker News that I picked up on Ebay. It features four full pages of that Mobil Economy Run previously posted by Todd Ruel with many photos & details.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
        X