Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Traffic In Copenhagen Was Awful.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Traffic In Copenhagen Was Awful.......

Puny little cars on narrow streets......

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Great engine sound!

Comment

Finishing first is never a bad thing.

Sort of in the same vein but, only turning left; percentage of Stude Coupes seems high.

Viel Spaß beim Ansehen des Videos. Weitere kuriose, lustige, spannende oder spektakuläre Videos gibt es bei ThomsRacingTeam hier bei youtube.com oder unter w...

Thanks for the link, Javier.
      Last edited by rockne10; 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM. Reason: Add link
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I drove a few times in Copenhagen, never remember those cars
        (But I've owned just about every car you could see getting overtaken here...)

Comment

Wow, pretty clear there was nothing else running there that could touch that Stude.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I must be the only ignorant one here. What's the story on car #14? Is it Stude powered? Owned by a forum member?
            sigpic
            JohnP, driving & reviving
            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Wouldn't it be real nice to read "Yes, it's Studebaker-powered!"...?

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Mr. Boels is from the Netherlands and is apparently pretty prolific in European historic racing circles and pretty skilled. The body is Stude, the engine looks like a Stude V-8, but the suspension is obviously something competely custom.

They keep calling this a '53 Carrera Panamericana Studebaker Commander. Was there ever such a model?

Here's another video of him competing in the Belgian Historic Cup at Zolder hot on the trail of a Porsche. Unfortunately, his differential went out on lap 5.

racing a '53 Carrera Panamericana Studebaker Commander. Competing in the Belgian Historic cup at the Zolder racetrack in Belgium , September 2012.

Here's the page showing the chassis and engine. Click on the photos to enlarge.

Edit: Strike that. Looks like the engine is a General Motors Product.

Last edited by hausdok; 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

The Le Carrera PanAmerica is a long standing race series in Mexico.
                    Vintage cars aboud... Many Stude's...

http://www.panamrace.com/

Lot's and lot's of great pic's and video's out there....
                    And being that it is a cutting edge performance race environment...several wrecks

http://tinyurl.com/La-Carrera-2012-pics
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

He won his class there once.

If you win there I suppose it's considered proper to add that to the name of your car in racing circles?
                      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                      Kenmore, Washington
                      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                      '69 Pontiac Firebird
                      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Thanks for the links to the pix, Mike. Awesome race car, makes the OP video more relatable. What a ride!!

And the book Montezuma's Ferarri has a good few chapters about the Panamerica race from B.Levy, the world's best bummer of rides in race cars.
                        sigpic
                        JohnP, driving & reviving
                        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                          He won his class there once.

If you win there I suppose it's considered proper to add that to the name of your car in racing circles?
                          I think it is referring to the primary series the car was built for. You might say a particular car was a NASCAR Sprint Cup car but also legal in other formats.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The rules for the top category in La Carrera (Turismo Mayor) allow the use of any engine ever installed by the manufacturer, i.e., Studes are allowed to run small block Chevies. I understand that they're basically NASCAR engines. That'll push a Stude coupe!
                            However, I see in the 2012 results that Studes in the Turismo Produccion class finished 6th and 8th overall. Those should have Studebaker engines in them if I understand the rules correctly. Not too shabby!

Estas en La Carrera Panamericana edición No. 36, del 13 al 19 de octubre 2023, 8 estados en 7 días de competencia ¡Se parte de La Leyenda!
                            Last edited by mr moto; 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM.
                            Manuel J. Martinez
                            Baton Rouge, LA

Comment

For the carrera Panamericana there are 9 race categories, the top two are allowed to modify the front and rear suspension, and basically are reinforced Nascar since the minimum weight is 1500, kg, the race is in a rally format and is very demanding, it covers 2,000 miles in 7 days, and there is an average of six speed stages every day,
                              Nascar engines do not last long, and 5 out of the 7 days is raced at high altitude,
                              this is a link of some pictures I took in this years race, they are taken close to where I live. https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=50812...rive&sc=Photos
                              this is a link of a rare 6 car accident on day 3, http://funksterwtf.blogspot.mx/2012/...day-3-wtf.html

and this is a link for a European tv show of the 2011 race, http://vimeo.com/33329239
                              part 2 http://vimeo.com/33337440
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X