President's Studie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President's Studie.

I just saw on MSN that president George Herbert Walker's first car was a 1947 Champ truck. This man's sense was obviously not passed on to his sons.
    peter lee

Do you mean George H.W. Bush? When former President Bush moved to Texas he had a 47 Champion. When I asked him about it in Belle Fourche, South Dakota, while he was Vice President, he didn't remember much about the car. The boys probably didn't hear any Studebaker stories when they were growing up.
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Peter... This is not the place for that.
      Edit it to talk about Studebakers, and not your ideology.

Do a search here and you will find out more information regarding the Studebaker you mentioned.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Another IBTL. I'm sure this thread will get deleted. BTW, none of the Bush family is perfect, but they are great Americans who love this country. I sure hope we get that back in leadership.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I am not all that gung-ho for deleting threads.
          I believe the moderator(s) should give the poster an opportunity to edit their post to eliminate, or modify, the portions of the thread that violate policy a/o rules of the forum.
          If the poster does not comply... Then nuke it, as the poster's intent was just proven to the moderators to wantonly violate policy/rules of the forum.
          We've talked about just about every celebrity, or politicians, Studebaker on the forum through the years, so this one is not anything new.
          Just an opinion....

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          Another IBTL. I'm sure this thread will get deleted. BTW, none of the Bush family is perfect, but they are great Americans who love this country. I sure hope we get that back in leadership.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The original poster doesn't seem to know much about Studebakers. There is no such thing as a "1947 Champ truck." As has been stated, M. Bush owned a 1947 Champion (car). I believe that they located a similar car that has been placed in the Bush Museum.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The story I read was the car was purchased for him by his parents upon his graduation from Naval College.
              Jimmy Carter can also claim early Champion ownership. President Garfield also had one.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It sure would be nice if Forum members would leave the job of 'policing' this forum to the folks that have always done that job very well......THE MODERATORS!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  The story I read was the car was purchased for him by his parents upon his graduation from Naval College.
                  Jimmy Carter can also claim early Champion ownership. President Garfield also had one.
                  Jimmy Carter's Stude was a '48 Land Cruiser. A nice, low mileage '48 LC was donated to his Presidential Library in GA several years ago. The poor car has been whithering away outside of my granddad's shop since.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    I believe the moderator(s) should give the poster an opportunity to edit their post to eliminate, or modify, the portions of the thread that violate policy a/o rules of the forum.
                    If the poster does not comply... Then nuke it, as the poster's intent was just proven to the moderators to wantonly violate policy/rules of the forum.
                    We've talked about just about every celebrity, or politicians, Studebaker on the forum through the years, so this one is not anything new.
                    Just an opinion....
                    Speaking for myself only, I never have an occasion to edit or modify my posts. I think it through before I hit 'Send' the first time. I never got the concept of posting without thinking, requiring my going back to edit and re-edit, instead of thinking the first time. But sure, if the OP removed his dig at The Bush sons, I would delete my correction of it.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Hey Jeff.........don't bite. He's trolling again. The boy must really be attention starved because he's also trolling over on "Stove Huggers".

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	47 champ pres bush.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1675956
                        I covered this topic in my TW Almanac column for July 1996. The elder Bush's '47 Champion, serial # G288931, was purchased from Efland Motors in New Haven, CT on June 16, 1947 (See copy of original sales receipt above). The nearly identical car now in the Bush Library in College Station, Texas was donated by Chaplain Wayland Hartsfield and wife Betty of Colorado Springs. CO in 1997.
                        Richard Quinn
                        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

With tangential regard to the original post, was the M5 of 1947 still marketed as a "Coupe-Express"?
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Ronald Reagin was a Studebaker owner too. also he did ads for Studebaker.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

If Jimmy Carters 48 was donated to the Presidential Library in GA , Whats it doin whithering away at someones shop . . . ? hmmm .

Comment

Working...
                              X