Twin-Traction dash decal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin-Traction dash decal

In Service Bulletin 339 (July '58) there's an article on discontinuing "a decal on the instrument panel next to the ignition switch" identifying the car as Twin-Traction equipped. The article implies that this was used on cars from the introduction of TT until late in '58 production. If that's true, according to the bulletin my car had one originally. Has anyone seen this decal and can describe it in more detail? Is there a pic or graphic?

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
    58H-K7 660

I have the artwork for the "TT" dash decal. I believe it goes directly above the ignition switch. We have it on a long list of future items that we'd like to reproduce.

Ed Reynolds
    Studebaker International

Comment

I'll look forward to that repro, Ed. Can you share the graphic so I can get an idea how it looked?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Ayres View Post
        In Service Bulletin 339 (July '58) there's an article on discontinuing "a decal on the instrument panel next to the ignition switch" identifying the car as Twin-Traction equipped. The article implies that this was used on cars from the introduction of TT until late in '58 production. If that's true, according to the bulletin my car had one originally. Has anyone seen this decal and can describe it in more detail? Is there a pic or graphic?

58H-K7 660
        I was unaware of such a decal, but Thursday I took pictures of the Kirby '58 President and above the ignition switch it does appear that a decal may have been there (unreadable now). The car has TT.
        Attached Files
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Steven, have a look at this old thread. There is also a picture of the decal.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Never-seen-one

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Rudolf, that helps a lot!

58H-K7 660

Comment

You're welcome.
              sigpic

Comment

I owned a 1957 President Classic with Twin Traction that had only been used one year before me. I do not remember that decal/sticker being on it. I suppose that it could have come off or been removed in one year, but unlikely. I wonder when the sticker was introduced. Maybe early 1957s with TT did not have the sticker/decal. I do not remember one on my 1957 Golden Hawk either, but that had more use before I bought it so anything is possible.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well...

StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Wow a totally DIFFERENT Decal on the '57 vs the '58 Golden Hawk!

Then there is the square Paper bright Flouresent Orange sticker used on the dash of all TT Trucks next to the Ignition Switch, and on the door edge of some later Cars after the Dash sticker was discontinued.

I really can see the Factory sometimes forgetting these or Dealers/Owners removing them, which may be why we have so many conflicting reports of actually NEW or near new cars varying.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-18-2012, 12:37 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My '58 Golden Hawk has this decal; it's in good condition. Final assembly date for the car was 5-26-58, pretty late in the model year. Dimensions are 2 1/4" long by 5/8" high, and it's just over the ignition switch. It's oval-shaped, looking very much like a miniature version of the plastic fender ovals used on 1964 Avanti-powered Studebakers to identify the presence of an Avanti (Jet Thrust) engine. In the oval, the words "TWIN-TRACTION" are in black letters with a hyphen between them. There are two interlocking red rings in the center as seen in StudeDave57's photo above.

George
                      george krem

Comment

My old '58 President looks to have the same sticker as Dave's '57. I'll get a better close-up pic next time I'm around the car, appears to be in good shape.

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I like!

58H-K7 660

Comment

Here's that closer shot of the '58 President dash sticker. Not much left of the red circles, but does show the 'chrome' surround and letters.

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Working...
                            X